360 ring of death info?

Liam

Does anyone have specific info regarding 'ring of death' errors on the 360? Links they can post?

From what I've read, almost all these errors seem to come about due to the thermal pads on the GPU delaminating slightly, which doesn't overheat the core in dashboard mode, but produces a 3-red-segment error after ~2mins of gaming.

Can anyone confirm this, or has any details on other common errors? I regularly see 'Faulty, 3 red bars' listings for 360's on eBay really cheap, and I'm damn tempted to start picking up a few and attempting repairs and modifications. I could really use the cash, plus the ROD-360's will all be earlier generation devices, with flashable firmware drives for playing backups. Even if I needed to replace the motherboard, at some of the prices I've seen faulty units going for I could still break even.

Is anyone interested in purchasing a reconditioned 360 that can play backups direct from DVD+RW's? It'd be special prices for DV heads, naturally.

why would people put them on ebay? microsoft will repair them free even if the warrenty (spelling) is over in most cases, i had the ring of death and a quick call to ms had it picked up, fixed and back to me in 3 days.

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1651/T...ng-of-Death/p1/

as for backups ms is pretty good at plugging the holes, so if it's been updated it might not work...

why would people put them on ebay? microsoft will repair them free even if the warrenty (spelling) is over in most cases, i had the ring of death and a quick call to ms had it picked up, fixed and back to me in 3 days.

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1651/T...ng-of-Death/p1/

as for backups ms is pretty good at plugging the holes, so if it's been updated it might not work...

as far as ive heard it was costing peeps 60-70 quid to fix the "ring of death" after being out of warranty by only 2 months... might have changed like but that was the score the last i heard.

Only on those manufactured before 1 Jan, 2006, so a very large number of consoles aren't covered.

The older 360's have DVD drives which you can flash modified firmware onto. This is seperate to the main console itself, so MS don't really have direct access to patch this. You can boot any backups on these. Newer 360's have LG drives that can't be flashed -the up side is that these are a LOT quieter.