Budget headphones?

Steve

i've got a pair of numark hf125. £10 from cookies in stoke! i've used them in clubs and they're great.

actually i've got 2 pairs (i bought the 2nd set cos i though i'd left the first pair in london, but then they turned up) so if you want a pair i'll give 'em to grae next time he comes round.

• 3 weeks later...

lol, they are a little snug but as i tend to wear them round my neck they do the job for me. i had 2 pairs cos i thought i'd left the set you've got down london and bought another set, then found those 3 days later :s

Snug isn't the word mate. The reason I don't ever wear a baseball cap is because I've never found one big enough for my huge Mekon head. I had these headphones around my neck and they were squeezing me so hard I could feel my skull going numb. lol.

The 25sp's are about £59 if you look around, perhaps less. I actually rate them over the 25's, not only because they're half the cost but also because the potential for any more power is a liability -I want to keep my hearing!

On a super-cheap budget, I can't reccomend these enough:

I gave away a pair when I sold a setup a couple of years go (sadly I didn't have space for four 'tables and three mixers), I really wish I hadn't. Having said that, I got 'em free when I bought a mixer and my mate bought some PDX's. Win some lose some, eh?

These 'phones look basic. You will have seen more sophisticated-looking headphones on a Ryanair flight... these things look very cheap. They sound absolutely fantastic at the money, you really need to try a pair, you'll be surprised, they have an incredibly delecate sound. Furthermore, these cans are practically indestructable, I wouldn't be surprised if I could back my car over them and not hurt 'em.

One thing I actually liked a lot about them was that they are actually open-back headphones. Now, this flies against traditional DJ convention, but I found that for day-to-day use, having open-back headphones meant I could mix effectively at low volumes, easily monitoring and being able to hear the dialogue outside my headphones with ease. This does make them more or less useless for gigging; but when was the last time you played a gig and didn't have at least three pairs of MDRV700's you could borrow??

Headphones are one thing I've always lacked. I've always made do with whatever I already have which is usually something totally shit with dodgy wiring. When I next have some spare cash I'm gonna get some decent ones. My mate has some of those Sennheisers and I like them a lot.

Guest Deeswift

I disagree with those kind of Sennheiser phones, I've owned several pairs, and on both I've broken ther cables without even trying. Sure, they sound good enough for a budget pair of phones but the cable is just a little bit wack, IMO. It starts off by losing connection in one ear, so you try to fiddle with it to get it working again, which it does for a while, then it gets worse. That was my experience with both pairs.

That's my experience with all headphones mate! My Dad lent me a pair of Philips ones once. They were super cheap but they were so loud without distortion that I really liked them until the wires fucked up. I might try and get some with a replaceable cable.

I have a pair of cordless Sony ones I use when I'm indoors. They're not the best sound quality, but they're great for moving around while listening to tunes. I have 4 other pairs that are all fucked, apart from the set Dub just gave me.

You've gotta be kidding me Dee, the shittiest cables by far are the ones on the Sonys. I tell every single person who buys a pair NOT to remove the screw-fit 3.5mm adaptor to use it in their MD, and to get another adaptor instead, otherwise the jack will break off. Do they listen? No. Do they come crying to me? Yes. Is the cable replaceable? No. Is soldering on a new jack a fucking nightmare? Is it ever. The cables inside aren't insulated seperately, they're coated with a fine layer of something like a fine coloured silicone, which you have to burn off before you can solder it, and once you've done it you're left with a thread-fine wire that is bound to break inside the jack sooner or later. WACK.

Guest Deeswift

My Sony cables are still working perfectly after 4 years, but the Sen's broke after less than 1 year. Personal choice mate, I don't like the budget Sennheiser cans, they didn't work out well for me.

Depends how much you gig your 'phones though. Mine take a punishing, but then again all of my gear does, I move it around a lot. For some reason it is always MY gear that gets gigged and not my mates... funny that.

What broke on your Senn's then? I've gotta agree, the replacement cables are a bit dear, but that's because most of the Senny cables are kevlar, quite exceptional quality really.

Some people get majorly pissed with the way Senny's tend to curl up and tangle, I've got to agree that this can be a bit of a piss-take when it gets bad, but hanging the 'phones over something overnight fixes 'em for me. No biggie.