My NEw PC

snuff

Check out the specs on this badbwoy...not bad for 500 quid!!! :8

Processor (CPU)

INTEL® Core 2 Duo E6400 (2 X 2.13GHz) 1066MHz FSB/2MB L2 Cache

Memory (RAM)

2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 533MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)

Motherboard

HIGH END ASUS®: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA, x16 slot, 2 PCI, etc

Operating System

MICROSOFT WINDOWS® XP PRO (inc. Genuine CD & license) (£95)

Vista Upgrade

Free Upgrade to Vista Business with purchase of Windows XP Pro

USB Options

6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD

Memory - 1st Hard Disk

160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk

NONE

RAID (HDD 1 & 2)

NONE

1st CD/DVD Drive

18x +/- DVD WRITER (8x +/- Dual Lyr) (Lightscribe) (40x CD-RW) (£20)

2nd CD/DVD Drive

NONE

Graphics Card

INTEGRATED VIA UNICHROME PRO GRAPHICS

2nd Graphics Card

NONE

Sound Card

INTEGRATED 6 CHANNEL (5.1 SURROUND) HIGH DEF. AUDIO

Modem

NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Network Facilities

ONBOARD 10/100 LAN PORT (ETHERNET) AS STANDARD

Floppy Disk Drive

NONE

Memory Card Reader

NONE

Case

Stylish Black/Silver Trident case + 2 front USB

Power Supply & cooling

STANDARD 350W PSU with CASE FAN

Firewire & Video Editing

NONE

TV Card

NONE

Monitor

NONE

2nd Monitor

NONE

Keyboard & Mouse

NONE

Mouse

NONE

Speakers

NONE

Printer

NONE

Surge Protection

NONE

Webcam & VoIP

NONE

Anti-Virus

NONE

Office Software

NONE

Warranty

1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1st Month Free Collect & Return

Delivery

Standard Insured Delivery to UK Mainland (Free)

Price (excluding VAT)

£500.43

Price

£588.00

Order Quantity

Bulk discount

£0

Total order price (Ex VAT)

£500.43

Total order Price

£588.00

Very good price, very nice chip, RAM and MOBO definately -I'd take a look at that PSU, though. 350W isn't really enough to run today's hardware, you'd probabbly find it flakes out if you added a modern graphics card. Plus a good PSU is the foundation of any stable system ;)

Very good price, very nice chip, RAM and MOBO definately -I'd take a look at that PSU, though. 350W isn't really enough to run today's hardware, you'd probabbly find it flakes out if you added a modern graphics card. Plus a good PSU is the foundation of any stable system ;)

2 points.....music pc only no fancy graphics card, you can keep your games!...WTF is a PSU?

2 points.....music pc only no fancy graphics card, you can keep your games!...WTF is a PSU?

Sorry, the PSU is the big lump at the back of the case that takes 230v mains and provides power to all the various components. So basically, if you have a good one then it consistently provides a nice stable voltage across all the different rails; a bad one can drop in voltage, produce radio frequency waves throughout the system or even explode when over-loaded (no shit!).

I tend to use cheap/old/shit PC components, but I bought an Antec Truepower a few years ago, and my box has been very stable ever since, I really do think it is the PSU that made this difference. The other bonus is that a good PSU will normall have very quiet fans, definately a bonus for a music making PC, it's definately a bonus for me 'cos I watch a lot of films...

Sadly, cos you don't see it, most manufacturers cheap out on this aspect, which is a bit of a shitter since a good PSU is the foundation of a rock-stable system. I got Deeswift to put a thread up about it back in the day, I'll search and see if I can find it...

Mind you, I'm only basing this on the fact that it says 350W. It could be a wicked PSU that's lower spec'd, it's just that I don't think many of the 'reputable' manufacturers put out PSU's this low any more. I could be totally wrong! IT's good to know what's inside your box, though, and the PSU is IMO the most important bit. After all, it's the only component directly connected to everything! Yet almost always overlooked. Some learn it the hard way, rare though it is if the PSU goes it is likely to take at least four or five major components with it... my mate's PSU physically exploded and left a large hole scroched in the top of in his hard drive! Fuck knows how....

Anyway, that thread was here http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/inde...p?showtopic=100

Bit old but the info is still appropriate.

PS not dissing your wicked new PC Snuff; even if you forked out £50 or so for a solid PSU you'd still have a nice bargain there! Just want you to be in the know, as it were.

Oh, one last thing: you mention you're not planning on adding a graphics card, but think about it anyway. Integrated graphics will stress your northbridge a fair bit (it's probabbbly burn you if you touch it!), not to mention hog your system memory. For £20ish a low end GPU would just let your system breathe a little easier. I used to get other little niggles using integrated graphics, like weird graphical corruption whenever my mobile phone went that I've never had with dedicated cards. Again I'm not pissing on your strawberries here, just dishing out the info (I'd kill for a new PC, esp. a core2duo!).

Yes, I'm a geek

Does this soud better then? i can still change it it if i like as it's bespoke...

500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU incl Case Fan & CPU Cooler (£39)

'Dual rail' is something to look for, as it means the 12V line can be maxed out seperately from the other lines (the 12V is the important one!). If at all possible, try and find out the brand, then you can get a good idea what it is.

Also, 500W PEAK is a bullshit value. You need an RMS value, just like with amplifiers and so forth. I accidentally bought a 400W PEAK psu back in the day... never again, it was horrible, if you read the docs it was technically only about 180W RMS and after installing it my system crashed horribly quite frequently. I borrowed an unused Zalman 450W off my (then) flatmate and my problems magically went away...

Also, 500W PEAK is a bullshit value. You need an RMS value, just like with amplifiers and so forth. I accidentally bought a 400W PEAK psu back in the day... never again, it was horrible, if you read the docs it was technically only about 180W RMS and after installing it my system crashed horribly quite frequently. I borrowed an unused Zalman 450W off my (then) flatmate and my problems magically went away...

i understand none of this

i understand none of this

Okay, I'll try and break it down a bit

You know how cheap amplifier you might see in Argos or on eBay advertise ridiculous power ratings? Like small computer speakers that say 1000W MAX? This is a PEAK rating that they come up with by connecting the amplifier to a high-power resistor instead of a speaker, and covering the amp with liquid nitrogen then pumping as much power through it as absolutely possible. Whatever they get to before it dies a horrible, horrible death becomes their advertised 'PEAK' value -there is no standardised testing so whatever dirty tricks they can use to get to this value are fair game!

RMS output is a whole different game. There's still some scope for manipulation, but they still have to provide a sustained output, so this is a much better rule. You need to know what the RMS output is to decide if it is suitable for your system.

I hope this helps?

You know how cheap amplifier you might see in Argos or on eBay advertise ridiculous power ratings? Like small computer speakers that say 1000W MAX? This is a PEAK rating that they come up with by connecting the amplifier to a high-power resistor instead of a speaker, and covering the amp with liquid nitrogen then pumping as much power through it as absolutely possible. Whatever they get to before it dies a horrible, horrible death becomes their advertised 'PEAK' value -there is no standardised testing so whatever dirty tricks they can use to get to this value are fair game!

I hope this helps?

got ya...thanks :)

If you want to use it for audio - check out some quiet PSUs (Seasonic) and cases (Antec P180 or other custom ones). It's nice not to have to hear too much PC noise.

Also - if you can stretch to it - the E6600 chip would be worth an upgrade to.

nice pc, id add a dual head graphics card, theyre only about 30 quid and gives you the option of applying an extra monitor which is useful when making tracks in cubase or protools etc as you can have a screen for the mixer and plugins and the other screen for the arrangement view

soundcards a bit shit too concidering its for music production