SA-5, Mackie D2 or...?

decisive

oi oi,

i'm not sure what to replace my mixer with out of the midrange market... i know the SA-5 is dope, i've only had a tiny play on it but am pretty familiar with the smx501 (its 3 channel cousin) and so i know what to expect from closer inspection, and i was going to just plump for that.

I've been looking around though, and there are more competitors than i thought... the Nuo 2 would be handy form factor wise as i'm switching out an 06a, but it looks kinda clumsy. Then there's the Urei 1601, (for the price of its posh sisters i'd probably go for a top end mixer so just the standard one), and the build quality is tight and it feels really sturdy, but the crossfader's got a lot of cutlag and cut in even on the tightest setting is pretty long compared to my current pcv.

Then I saw the Mackie d2- I didn't realise it was this cheap! I can't really see any practical use in the firewire extension, I'll just use audio cables for audio, and I use SSL anyway, so it'd be the standard model. £200 sounds pretty tight, the design is nice looking, apparently the sound quality is absolutely incredible, and it pretty much has everything i can think of that I want. Anyone any experience with it? How's that Infinum crossfader (i remember reading that the scratchbox has a modified one because rodec weren't impressed with the original design...)?

Ideally i'd try it before choosing but i don't really have anywhere that would have one... so i'm kinda at the mercy of opinion here. At the moment it's either the SA5 or the d2... and they're the same price.

paaayce

me too, i thought it was in 56/360 territory... with the firewire card it's £400, but £200 without (www.decks.co.uk). Seems to be in stock there and a couple other places (although it's £400 everywhere else, i assume they don't do a firewireless version)...

got meself an sa5 for chrimbo, absolutely lovin it.

with the fader mod, which is easy to do, it's a beauty to cut on.

hard to find records are doin it for 250 quid with 2 free m447 styli and headshells.

got meself an sa5 for chrimbo, absolutely lovin it.

with the fader mod, which is easy to do, it's a beauty to cut on.

hard to find records are doin it for 250 quid with 2 free m447 styli and headshells.

if you haven't already, next time you take the fader apart to clean it, push the fader brushes down a bit with something flat, it makes it way slicker cuz there's less force on the electronics part they're going across... broken sword told me to do this and it makes it way iller, feels loose like a pcv but sturdier

Guest pokemon sauce

see you have to mod the SA-5 before you can use it properly on the cut, that sucks.

apparently the mackie is kinda shit and that's why the price is so low, i also thought it was a high-end mixer. it's got an infinium fader though

the urei's are kinda unreliable but the sampler version is hella sweet looking, plus they look sexy. if you want to wait for the AEM-100i, it looks ugly but it got some nice effects and a pro x fade as standard.

or just cop a second hand ecler360, now that people are updating to the 380 version. stores may be selling them cheaper as well

word, in theory it kinda sucks having to mod it, but the mod's not necessary by any means, it just takes it from closer to a vestax to closer to a rane... the rane's fader is faster and smoother, but I think my modded sa-5 has a quicker cut in time... like I can't see having a cut in much sharper than it, I have it to like 1mm or something pretty much

poke, u know anywhere online that doesn't think much of it? i'm kinda leaning towards it at the moment to be honest because the build and sound quality look absolutely top notch and the featureset is pretty similar to the sa5... but all i hear about it so far are cut and paste advert 'reviews' saying it's incredible and hearsay that it's good...

Guest pokemon sauce

djsuperstore.co.uk has it for £199 but if you call them up you can probably get it for cheaper. try to get them to knock off about £20 and ask for free delivery