Game Industry Folks Siding With the Wii

flowerpot

Gamasutra's semi-regular feature taking the pulse of folks in the game industry turns its attention this week to the PS3 and Wii launches. From the comments submitted to the site, it seems that many industry vets are generally more excited about the Wii than with Sony's offering. From the article: "'Definitely a Wii (already pwii-ordered). The price point of the PS3 and the lack of enticing launch titles makes me as interested in a PS3 as I am interested in getting a root canal.' — Ryan Conlon, Gearbox Software. 'I am buying a Wii because Sony is too arrogant, from their dev tools to the price point.' — Ed O'Tey, Electronic Arts. 'Wii — pre-ordered. I applaud the attempt to expand and explore game interaction with the Wii. I will not be purchasing a PS3.' — Jim Perkins, EA Canada"

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061117/qotw_01.shtml

Well yeah, but it's not the price tag of the console that's going to be the biggest obstacle though, isit? It's all about the dev costs, which will be astronomical. Expect only the big names like EA (who gave a lengthy lecture on it in my dept. last week) to be able to afford to develop for it. And we all know the way that games, especially cross platform releases, from companies like EA turn out. Largely diluted, sterile and uninventive thanks to the 'board room' design process.

I'd rather have a P3 that 360, but so damn expensive... I figure if u could shell it out for a 360 you could shell out a little more for a p3.... I'll wait a couple of years. I bet the 3 will be $200 cheaper next x-mas. The Wii tho... I thought it looked AWSOME but never figured I'd get one... now tho I might considering how relatively cheap it is!

Nothings really available that I'd want to play (yet) ...kinda like 360. I don't even know what's gonna be out and it doesn't matter since I aint gonna have one for at least a year!

Actually I want a P3 in part to replace my old PS2 (since it is *fully* backwards compatable).

For 360 the only games I'm interested in is that zombie game and gears or war (or whatever it's called)... That WW2 game is ok and perfect dark is ok.

I'm looking forward to the Playstation exclusives/semi-exclusives like tekken, GTA series, etc... All xbox will have exclusively that I'm interested in is halo and I don't even like that game very much. Playstation always gets all the cool japanese developers unlike xbox which is largely ignored in japan. So it's hard to say what cool shit will be coming out for P3.

I also think that playstation will try to work out something with exclusive rights to the next GTA--expected to basically be an entirely online world! Should be crazy! I refuse to pay microsoft to use their online service and playstation's is free (and the'll have the next GTA at least 1-2 years before it ports to 360 anyways).

there are only something like 5 games out at the moment for the ps 3 isnt there?

Yup... but some ok ones in there:

call or duty 3, tony hawk, fear, gundam... all pretty good games that I don't have...

A guy I know from another forum queued up outside a Meijer store for a couple of hours to get a Wii and was right near the front - 16th in line. By the time it got to midnight there were nearly 400 people waiting. Someone from the store came out and announced that the only fair way to allocate consoles, was to give out raffle tickets! lol. He didn't win. He did manage to get the last 1 of 33 they had at Target though.

The only reports I've heard from people who've bought them say it's wicked fun, but quite hard to get used to the controller.

A guy I know from another forum queued up outside a Meijer store for a couple of hours to get a Wii and was right near the front - 16th in line. By the time it got to midnight there were nearly 400 people waiting. Someone from the store came out and announced that the only fair way to allocate consoles, was to give out raffle tickets! lol. He didn't win. He did manage to get the last 1 of 33 they had at Target though.

The only reports I've heard from people who've bought them say it's wicked fun, but quite hard to get used to the controller.

Hooray!

All this high demand is like music to my ears. :d

^^^LOL... it sure looks like it!

Someone from the store came out and announced that the only fair way to allocate consoles, was to give out raffle tickets! lol. He didn't win.

Dude I woulda FREAKED out....I prob would thrown rocks at the store.

... basically a similar thing happened to me with the 360... I had said I wouldn't get one and then decided to when I was looking at games as a total impulse buy and kinda similar thing happened where the guy said he'd sell me one (bundle w/ hard drive, etc)... So then he was checking me out and said he remembered he couldn't sell it to me but that I could buy everything in the bundle seperately (for an extra $200)... I kinda lost my cool but forced myself to leave before I started fucking up the store or him. So now I will never buy one just out of spite (in addition to not being too impressed anyways). I'll just try and win one like I did with my x-box! ;)

The only thing I've heard about the Wii controller was that extras wern't available... so no 2 player for most peeps.

Actually I want a P3 in part to replace my old PS2 (since it is *fully* backwards compatable)

Yes. But they couldn't figure out a way to get the backwards compatability working right, so they stuffed an entire PS2 in there. Smooth move geniuses.

but even that didnt quite work....

final fantasy and gan turismo some of the titles that dont quite work