Anti Virus Software

DJDelay

After having my current PC get totally wrecked last week i've decided to invest in some anti-virus software. Is Norton any good or should i look at something else?

Before i had crap cleaner and sypbot running on this PC and they didn't pick up the virus that it had picked up just to let you know

Cheers

djdelay

Kaspersky is the one mate. Click HERE to download the main program. You'll also need a key to register it which you can get by clicking HERE. Unzip the key to My Documents or wherever, install Kaspersky then on the main screen, click the Support tab, then Licence Keys (on the left) then Add. Browse to the key on your machine and add it and you're sorted for a year.

i have a question..

Kaspersky is wiked and workin fine

but it keeps poppin up wiv

"ur updates are 50 days old"

so i go to d/l the updates and it never connects

can sum1 put the updates on here for me d/l??

and tell me where to put em and so forth....

ta

Are you using a firewall? I notice you have mentioned downloading problems before. Kaspersky needs to connect to the servers to download the updates so you'll have to sort out whatever it is that's stopping it.

Until you do, here's the updates up to the 26th November: -

ftp://downloads-eu1.kaspersky-labs.com/up...ip/up041126.zip

If you update via the web, you will only get weekly updates instead of hourly. If you can't get that link above to work then click HERE to go to the download page.

Guest Deeswift
Before i had crap cleaner and sypbot running on this PC and they didn't pick up the virus that it had picked up just to let you know

Cheers

djdelay

Maybe because neither of those apps are anti-virus software mate. Spybot deals with spyware, Crap Cleaner clears junk such as cookies, history, index.dat, etc.

i can chip in my 2 pence worth on the kaspersky v symantec debate

i've used symantec corporate for a while and no complaints until lately it gets an update every wednesday but it is about 9meg

i think it is trying to update the core engine etc but must be having a problem so keeps trying every week

so today i thought i'd try kaspersky on one of my machines to see if the updates situation made it easier

i installed it and it did a 600k update (liking already) then did a full my computer scan

3 hours later and it has scanned 1,580,548 files and no viruses found

conclusion - not much, can't say that it is better than symantec because it didn't find anything that symantec missed, but that doesn't mean it is worse either

just thought i'd share my experience if anyone else is deciding which to try

the updating seems friendlier so i think i'll switch my server over to it too

I like the micro-updates with Kaspersky. It only needs to download a 50 or 60Kb file instead of the entire virus database so it's good for dial up users. It has one of the largest (if not the largest) databases out there and the response to new viruses is extremely quick. It's also pretty customisable although some of the options are a bit buried. The first time it scans your machine it can take a while, but it creates a record of all the files it scanned and will only scan them next time if they have changed. That can speed things up a lot if you do regular full scans.

On the downside, it can slow older machines a little if you have the active scanning on. Also, it has absolutely no heuristics so it solely relies on the database.

Anyone using Kaspersky should set it to use the extended databases.

In Regards to Kaspersky, i just purposley installed a free cd program that wasknown to contain adware, as soon as i downloaded it and opened it, kaspersky caught all of the adware and trjoans and crap and deleted them all, syagte of course also blocked the adware programs from opening up, i highly reccomend both.