DVD recorders - which to buy?

Steve

Is it worth getting a DVD recorder that has a hard drive built into it? If I got one of those, could I record some stuff from VHS to the hard drive, then edit it and burn it to DVDR? It's the editing part I'm interested in the most.

Yeah, I know most you can but you may need knowledge of Linux to do it. I know systems like TiVo are Linux based.

I know it's an additional expense but check out WinMCE. The integration for recording digital TV is absolutely brilliant. A cheap box, a cheap Radeon /w TV-out and 2xDVB cards -perfect. Network up to your current PC. It'll save a LOT of bullshit.

The interface is the only one I've seen that really is genuinely usable from your sofa, too. I've been using PC's for media centres in my lounge for well over three years now; MCE has def. changed the way I do things.

As far as I know steve you'd be better of just

digitising your old vhs's into your computer

mate.

I have a tivo and I love it and there's a load

of hacks out there, but to buy a dvd recorder

with a hard drive in would just be a waste of cash.

You just end up wanting it to do what your computer

is perfectly capable of doing. Just get a capture card

and start digitising it all in. If your desperate to record

off TV then get a cheap DVD recorder.

Your computer is a much more capable editing workstation

than some DVD/HDD hardware.

PM me if you want to know more, or I can help you out.

Yeah, I know most you can but you may need knowledge of Linux to do it. I know systems like TiVo are Linux based.

He was talking about a freeview dvd recorder, not a PVR as far as i understood.

Yes: you can edit from the recorder itself, it's time consuming and little accurate, but doable nonetheless.

But yeah, even without a hdd you can edit (using DVD+RW's or RAM's only). Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer are quite user friendly. The easiest has got to be Philips, but their recorders are absolute crap.