Adobe Acrobat Alternatives

Liam

I thought I'd put this in the Knowledge Base; although it's a call for knowledge as much as it is a share.

I really dislike Adobe Acrobat. It seems to hog resources, and is quite slow at handling/redrawing documents with lots of graphics, even on quite powerful machines. The updating system is very clunky, and it constantly nags me –even when I tell it not to.

Unfortunately, in the course of my work I have to read a large number of scientific papers –almost always published in online journals as Acrobat documents. Divorcing my laptop from Acrobat would cause quite a problem if objects like, for example, formulas or diagrams display incorrectly. Nevertheless I decided to look into the alternatives and test a few out.

So far, FOXIT READER would appear the best alternative. It's small, it's a single .exe that requires no othe files to run -i can put it on a thumbdrive and use it anywhere, like on the department computers.

Is this a timeline? I'm still paranoid that it'll fuck up a formula somewhere and cause me grief but so far it's handled everything beautifully and really does put Acrobat to shame.

To anyone who decides to use this app, if you have any trouble with it, post up please because I'd like to know about it. Cheers!

Yo is this merely a "reader" or can one also use it to edit pdfs?

Thing is we get all of the .ppt-slides from our prof's at uni as pdfs but I only have Acrobat Reader so I can't for example take my laptop with me to uni and write stuff into the slides - instead I have to waste money in printing out the fucking slides then take them with me and write my notes by hand onto them...and I'm faster at typing, plus then I could read all the stuff I write down as well!