Latency on Skype or MSN

x2k

I've never tried jamming over skype or msn but when I've been talking to people on Skype I can notice a fair bit of latency, too much to get a decent jam going. I've got broadband and a decent (low latency) sound card so where could the problem be? Are there any setting which might lower latency?

Also Skype only seems to be half-duplex (can't send and recieve audio at the same time), is there somewhere this can be changed as well?

Skype is full duplex mate. If the two people connected both have broadband and a good soundcard, then it works with no latency at all in my experience. Occasionally though, I've tried to have a session with someone and when I scratch, the beat they are playing goes off. Perhaps it is down to the other person's settings and/or PC. Is it the same with everyone? I was having a session with Chee (TheOneandOnly) last night and for a while it was fucked - we just ended the call and started again and it worked perfectly.

I had a look through the settings and I can see nothing that would cause latency issues. Sorry I can't be of any more help mate.

The full-duplex thing started to work last night, dunno what was going on there. My mate's got an M-Audio Delta 66 so his sound card should be up to scratch, I'll get another network cable and try it on my other machine. Saying that I've only tried using Skype with one person so far so maybe it is them.

PS, Steve, I wasn't in when you messaged me the other night I had just accidently left Skype running, definately up for a cut sometime soon though!

My Skype name is x2kmusic if anyone else wants to get in touch.