ASIO4ALL

Liam

For the last 24hrs I've been in awe of this little app. I don't know if it's a timeliner, but I think a LOT of people here will appreciate this

http://www.asio4all.com/

It's a universal ASIO driver for pretty much any WDM audio card. The author created it with the explicit intention of getting his shitty integrated laptop audio to run well with ASIO enabled audio production applications. It only kicks in when you are using ASIO, so it doesn't hog any resources, either.

It works a treat. On my shitty laptop without bothering to tweak the drivers at all, I get a pretty rock-solid 11ms latency. It must be noted that it does push my CPU usage up considerably -although this is to be expected. So when a *very* large number of software synths, effects and so on are loaded, my laptop (P4-M 1.8Ghz, 512MB DDR400) simply can't cope with the strain. In the main, it'll handle most things you throw at it.

I'm genuinely shocked at how well this app works, and the variety of devices that it works with. Obviously if you have a SBlive or Audigy or something then I'd suggest using the KX drivers.... for everyone else without ASIO support, this app is the nuts. I can FINALLY write beats in Fruity and Reason on the train with no extra hardware besides my laptop.

Also: the FAQ recommends that users with USB devices DO NOT install the manufacturers drivers; instead using the Windows XP WDM drivers and ASIO4ALL to achieve the lowest latency.

Hit me with a timeline if appropriate but either way, this app is the nuts.

been using that app for years

craziest thing is if you have more than one soundcard,

say yr stock soundcard and a pro asio sound card,

you can activate both in asio4all to be used in yr sound app.

rocking two soundcards at the same time.

great if ya wanna get yr multi track recording on when the cru is over.

or one soundcard for yr master output and another for

previewing/cueing up loops/samples.

i've never used more than two at a time, but

one could conceivably hook up as many soundcards as their cpu will allow.