My TTX died!

I was cutting on thursday and suddenly the motor stopped, and now it won't start again :(( it's an old (TTX1, but not variable torque) model, thus out of warranty (second hand anyway). Part of me wishes I'd listened to the disparagers now...

anyway, the lights still come on and the electronics still work (still outputs sound as line output too), it just appears that the motor has stopped responding to the start/stop buttons. Does this sound like the error that the 'cisco mod' could solve? I'd rather try it first before going to get it fixed for god knows how much...

ta :)

this happened to quite a lot of people, including me. It can be fixed without problem. Cisco El Nino posted the repair manual on the old Asis site and Reezy just posted this on D-Styles' board a while ago.

TTX repair

I did this mod and it worked like a charm. In addition, to make things easier, you will need pliers to get the IC out of the PCB because it sits in there pretty tightly. I tried soldering at 280°C but it took forever for the solder to melt, so I went up to about 350°C and it worked.

cheers for the replies lads, I've sent numark a message detailing the problem (although i was in a friendly drunk mood last night so i think i might have been a little bit forgiving!), if there's nothing they can/will do, I'll brave the repair myself...

Stalk, watch out with using such high temperatures, excessive heat WILL damage components. Also: handy tip... remove components with multiple legs (like the IC) by holding a razor blade in some pliers and heating it in a blowtorch, then holding it against the legs to heat all the points at once. Works a charm.

FYI, the only component on the 1200 that gets reasonably hot (a voltage reg) is thermal paste'd and screwed to about seven or eight kilos of die cast aluminium, which has thermal characteristics only marginally inferior to copper. 12's last a long time, and not wihout good reason...

Decisive mate, you're only over in Hull right? I should be in York all summer man so if you're about perhaps we can get skrizznatch nerdy on it.

I know that part is temp sensitive but soldering at 280° was a pain in the ass. I gave up after half an hour because the solder wouldn't melt enough. I could've used different solder but I didn't have any other available. it worked with 350° in my case and I put a good deal of thermal paste on the IC before screwing everything together again. but yes, you need to be careful, that's for sure. best thing is to wait a few minutes after each leg soldered.

Good looking out on the advice with the razorblade.

Guest rasteri

I have a problem with one of my TTXs, in that it only seems to have power when the platter is at certain angles. And sometimes it just stops randomly. It's still usable, but annoying.

I may give this mod a go - it should be possible to replace the chip with an IC socket, then soldering at high heats and replacing the chip in the future shouldn't be a problem.

Decisive mate, you're only over in Hull right? I should be in York all summer man so if you're about perhaps we can get skrizznatch nerdy on it.

aw mate, the lease on my house in hull has just run out else I'd love to, I'm holed up in Lutterworth at the moment (the bowels of outer leicestershire), else i'd be right on that. I'll let you know if I'm up north again though...

paayce