Cartridge help

Huw

A mate of mine has just bought some new carts. Some tracks sound ok, but most of them sound completely fucked when played through the new needles. It happens on both decks. However, his old shitty 520's are fine. does he need to break them in? i swear when i used to dj i used carts straight outta the box. if not, any ideas what's up?

cheers

what carts has he got...i presume he has set them up correctly (theres a post in dvkb for setting up needles)

sounds like his wires or contacts arent picking up right.. make sure theyre connected nice with no dust or grime on them, blow on the tonearm contacts and the headshell to get any dust out.. even a gentle rub or rewireing might do the trick..

peace

they're concordes, so no need for wiring. they are set up fine. he bought some carts the other day too, and the same thing happened with them, again on both decks so i doubt it's the tonearm, so he sent them back, but these ones do the same...