Monkey's Audio

S S

well if you convert a WAV file to MP3 it will loose quality cos the MP3 will discard any info not likely to be heard. This program is "lossless" so it doesn't scrimp on sound quality. If your just listening to your tunes then this may not have any value to you and you may wanna stick with MP3's. It's probably aimed more at producers who want to archive/backup audio files which is why i thought it would be helpful.

Edited by S S

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been using this and I have to say it's the dog's bollocks. On average, it compresses wav files by about 51% and it does it really fast too. It also includes a plugin for Winamp so you can play the .ape files it creates without uncompressing them first. It's excellent if you have a folder with a completed Cool Edit project in it for example, because you can shrink the whole thing down for archiving. Thanks again SS.

Guest Deeswift
Doesn't anyone use EAC and Lame?

Shit yes, I INVENTED THEM! Really though, I might give Monkey's Audio a try. I just hate the name, that's what put me off in the first place. There's other lossless formats too though, such as WavPack, Shorten, etc. See Rarewares for all of these and more.

http://www.rarewares.org/

Musepack is worth using too. Better than mp3 and smaller file size. Said to be the best of the lossy encoders. Here's a poll I made at Hydrogenaudio way back:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=13718&hl=

Guest Deeswift

Good link. The guy comes to the same conclusions as I expected, recommends the same LAME version (3.90.3) as I use (although I use the modified version which enables the use of --alt-preset switches), which I refer to as v3.90.3m.

The MPC settings he recommends are right -- there's no point in increasing the quality past standard setting, because this is considered transparent. As it is with LAME, the standard setting is most recommended, but encoding at a slightly higher bitrate makes me feel better, so I do it anyway! LAME --alt-preset extreme for .mp3, -quality7 -xlevel for .mpc, using mppenc 1.14 and MPC Batch Encoder v2.3.1 front-end..

I'm rambling on...

The guy seems to know what he's talking about, it's a good article. I'd like to use lossless more often (I have a lot of FLAC encodes which sound great), but it's a case of hard drive space. Once we can buy terabyte drives for a decent price I'll use lossless all the time.