$30,000 fines on the way

Steve

The MPAA are about to start issuing 100s of lawsuits to people downloading movies from P2P sites. The fine will be $30,000 PER MOVIE! That's about £16,000. If I was in the US, I'd forget going for the latest movies if I were you.

i didnt think it was illegal to download stuff...only if you upload it can you be in shit. it seems the riaa have more influence on the country than the president.

they should be made to drop the prices on movies and cds..its all price fixed to a certain extent bloody criminals

It's a bit of a myth that it's only if you upload. The thing is, BitTorrent has totally taken over the P2P world - a third of all net traffic is people using it! Certain companies download their own movies using BitTorrent and obviously other computers upload to them. Your IP address is clearly visible hence you are caught if your machine sends them a piece of the file.

Movies are the main target. This only applies to the US though. In the UK, your ISP is not allowed to divulge what you have been downloading due to the data protection act. Over here, the movie company would contact your ISP and they would send you a cease and desist letter to warn you off. This will probably change in the near future though - especially as broadband gets faster and people can download quicker.

if you're only downloading 2 or 3 movies i shouldn't think they'd even bother. i hear they're targeting people who download hundreds of movies. the same goes for music. people who only have a few tunes on their computer are likely to be ignored - it's chronic dowloaders that are the targets

Damn, where did you hear about the statistic about Bitorrents constituting 1/3rd of all net traffic?

Seems a bit high to me... what ever happened to good old P2P programs like Kazaa Lite, eMule, etc?

if you're only downloading 2 or 3 movies i shouldn't think they'd even bother. i hear they're targeting people who download hundreds of movies. the same goes for music. people who only have a few tunes on their computer are likely to be ignored - it's chronic dowloaders that are the targets

That's not true man. If you upload a piece of one of the latest Hollywood movies then you're now a target. They're taking this stuff very seriously in the US now.

That's not true man. If you upload a piece of one of the latest Hollywood movies then you're now a target. They're taking this stuff very seriously in the US now.

i see. well i heard this info on the radio earlier this year so it may not apply now. my bad

There's this Jap guy who comes down my local about every month, with one fat mofo dvd wallet selling 100's of films, all the new ones, loads of classics. They all top notch quality, and he brings his portable dvd player so u can check em out. £5 each