Firewall Advice

Ben

Alreet,

I've only just got my pc working again (woooo). I have magical powers which destroy electronic equipment.

Anyway, i'm trying to play counterstrike while using zonealarm and i'm getting intolerable lag just like last time. You guys told me to get sygate and that sorted it out until it all went tits-up and now sygate isn't around anymore (as far as i'm aware).

Just asking if anyone could recommend to me a decent firewall for online gaming . If there's anything thats good and free at the same time thats cool too.

Thank-you thank-you

Ok, i get it now.

It was actually Anti-Hacker that i got.

What happens is, it says that my computer was attacked and therefore it will refuse incoming contact for a short period of time.

How do i stop that? ROAROAROAR i hate firewalls.

First question: do you connect through a router of some kind? Such as a hub, switch or wireless access point? If so, you'll really need to set up port forwarding and so forth to get the fastest ping. I'm not much for online games, but form what little I have played, I know full well that if your ping isn't up there with the other players, you might as well have lost before you even start.

Also, go to the command prompt and type "ping www.google.com", see what kind of times you get. Obviously lower is better. I might be telling you stuff you already know, though, so I'll stop there.

You need to make sure your games are added to your firewall 'exceptions'.

You'll probabbly need to turn off hardware firewalls that may be built into your hub/switch/WAP/modem/whatever as well to get any kind of decent ping.

In fact, if you're just gaming and not browsing (and if you're playing, how could you be?), then turning the firewall off completely is probabbly the way forward. Firewalls are known for increasing your ping like crazy, which makes perfect sense when you think about what a firewall is. In fact, if it's not fucking up your ping, then you have to ask questions about just how effective that firewall is...