Scratchlive & TTX

Good day sirs,

I'm going to be getting SSL soon, and after looking at the setup diagrams I'm a little bit confused about how I'd go about connecting things up.

Can the TTX1's Key Lock be used in conjunction with Scratchlive?

Can I just connect on line level and not bother with connecting the thrus from the SL box into the mixer to play normal records, with keylock still an option?

One of the main reasons I bought TTXs was to get keylock, it's not a nice thought that I'd have to have either keylock or SSL but not both at the same time... does the SL box output a phono level signal even if the tt input is line level? If it did presumably I could still use keylock on normal records at least, but if it outputs at the same level as is inputted I'd have to turn my decks to phono level out and lose keylock entirely...?

any help is greatly appreciated :)

c

Ahh, super, thanks for confirming that :)

Keylock is a very handy feature for me, because I mix too- and bringing an 82bpm rap track up to 95bpm sounds very chipmunk like without keylock... It's also handy for key matching records so they don't clash... not worth a damn thing scratchwise however! Apart from a cool side effect which presents itself if you keylock at +50% and then drop down to -50%, some cool garbly noises come out- and if you mess about with -40 to -50ish it sounds a bit like a phaser, more interesting than useful though heh.

c

Hm... okay contradicting replies, poop. Does anyone know for sure? An idea I have been flirting briefly with is getting Mixvibes seeing as I'll have to get a new soundcard when I crossgrade to a laptop anyway, anyone want to encourage/warn me off that idea?

c

No, your keylock will work if you connect it the way you do.

Remember the SSL is also designed to be used with CD players, so the box will accept a line-level signal. The thru connections will pass through whatever signal you feed into it originally.

BUT

Also remember that the Scratch amp will spit out the computer's output as a line-level signal, so if you want to send a line level through, you have to use a mixer with 4 line inputs. eg this won't work on Vestax mixers (only 2 channel, input switchable from Phono to Line)

No, your keylock will work if you connect it the way you do.

Remember the SSL is also designed to be used with CD players, so the box will accept a line-level signal. The thru connections will pass through whatever signal you feed into it originally.

BUT

Also remember that the Scratch amp will spit out the computer's output as a line-level signal, so if you want to send a line level through, you have to use a mixer with 4 line inputs. eg this won't work on Vestax mixers (only 2 channel, input switchable from Phono to Line)

Right. The pitch lock will continue to work on your TTX when playing a record, but I dont think the pitck lock will work with the serato songs playing mp3s.

So basically if I want to use keylock on the TTXs, I can't use normal records (I have an 06a), but if I sacrifice keylock and switch the TTXs to phono level output I can, correct?

Not a killer, I suppose, it doesn't look quite as impressive being stuck to the control vinyl but that's the only disadvantage I can think of...?

c

Right. The pitch lock will continue to work on your TTX when playing a record, but I dont think the pitck lock will work with the serato songs playing mp3s.

Oops, you posted at the same as I did Saint, yeah can this be cleared up- this is what I'm interested in- affecting mp3s on Scratchlive with the keylock on my TTX...

c

The key correction function will NOT work with Serato. There are a number of conflicting factors that will tell you this. NO audio from the turntable is directly played when using apps like SSL. In effect, the turntable is a dumb controller.

SSL relies upon the interpretation of a pre-determined signal, which is written to the vinyl. It 'knows' what this signal is, and calculates changes based upon what it observes, compared to what the signal ought to be. As far as it (SSL) is concerned, the only parameter that you are modifying is the rate of revolution -be it by pitch control or manual manipulation. Modifying other parameters WILL cause SSL to behave abnormallly. Feeding SSL a time-coded signal that has been key corrected will almost certainly cause unexpected and unpredictable results.

Having said all this, using SSL will allow for much better key correction results than realtime techniques, which tend to sound nasty and ring-modulated. You can run your files through an app like soundforge beforehand and key-correct anything you like until you're happy.

Basically, if you own SSL you can do whatever the fuck you like with whatever the fuck you like, which is why you'll get no sympathy from me you minted bastard

steady now, touchy!

Okay, so it's not going to work. Shame... it seems feasible for it to be implemented though, although I'm not a programmer- it's just my logic heh.

Using an audio editor to change the speed or key of a song won't do me any favours, it's the fact that it is realtime on the TTX that is useful...

cheers for the reply, I'm going to stroke my chin for a while and think about what's best...

c

The key correction function will NOT work with Serato. There are a number of conflicting factors that will tell you this. NO audio from the turntable is directly played when using apps like SSL. In effect, the turntable is a dumb controller.

SSL relies upon the interpretation of a pre-determined signal, which is written to the vinyl. It 'knows' what this signal is, and calculates changes based upon what it observes, compared to what the signal ought to be. As far as it (SSL) is concerned, the only parameter that you are modifying is the rate of revolution -be it by pitch control or manual manipulation. Modifying other parameters WILL cause SSL to behave abnormallly. Feeding SSL a time-coded signal that has been key corrected will almost certainly cause unexpected and unpredictable results.

Having said all this, using SSL will allow for much better key correction results than realtime techniques, which tend to sound nasty and ring-modulated. You can run your files through an app like soundforge beforehand and key-correct anything you like until you're happy.

Basically, if you own SSL you can do whatever the fuck you like with whatever the fuck you like, which is why you'll get no sympathy from me you minted bastard

Yes, the keylock will not work *with* SSL's mp3s, but it will work with a real record, if you use the thru function of the SSL box. But given that the TTX's keylock only works when the Line output is selected on the TTX, you have to have 4 line inputs on your mixer.

you have to have 4 line inputs on your mixer.

Unless you've got some POS like an 07isp, your primary inputs will most likely be line/phono selectable, whereas the secondary inputs will be line only. So this is unlikely to be an issue.

I know this might seem like a long shot, but e-mail Rane and ask for a key-correction feature. It might seem like a futile move, but if quite a few people ask, it may well be included in a future software update.