Who Are Your Favourite Singers?

Blak Randy

We had a lot of the greats already innit, Otis, Arethra, Stevie, Marvin... Hows about Jill Scott, Angie Stone, D'Angelo (again), the younger Jacko (again), personally I think Amerie has a lot of raw soul in her voice, as does Lil Mo, although neither are particuarly refined... then again I guess that's the definition of raw. Jaheim, anyone? The new CD is strictly 'aight' but the first was great when it came out and the standout tracks of the second will live forever imo. What yall know about Musiq? That first album? Dang. The others... mmm maybe a classic between em. But ooh the dude's voice n flow is butter. I haven't checked US soul in a minute, and I need to get deeper into UK stuff but check Eska- http://www.myspace.com/eskamtungwazi - that's a beautiful voice.

c

Top two for me:

Sade & Al Green

Others:

Beth Gibbons, Maxwell, Jill Scott, Peven Everett, Esthero, Jennifer Charles (from Elysian Fields, also sings on Automators Lovage album. Fukn Sexy voice!), the chick from The Rurals (deep/soulful house)! & the chicks from Zero7 are all good.

Not gonna repeat any, but I am particularly fond of

Mary J Blige

Astrud Gilberto

Tom Jobim

Dave Ghan (DP for life mufuggas)

James Brown anyone?

Matisyahu

Barington Levy

Mos Def (his singing voice is awesome, imo)

yeah alicia keyes - word.

mos def - wicked singing.

pharoah monche - dope when he sings.

john legend.

sade.

jt.

james hetfield.

chris issak.

morrisey.

ian brown.

carl thomas - you know that joint over the phone tap beat was sicxxxckoooo.

bradley nowell.

marley - of course.

Cedric Bixler, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Josh Homme, Kate Rusby, Kathryn Williams, Beth Gibbons, Johnny Cash, Lee Gorton, Brendan Benson, Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Prince, early Jacko, Curtis Mayfield, Otis Redding, Jason Pierce, Jimmy Page, Ray Davies, Richard Ashcroft, Minnie Ripperton and Shuggie Otis.

I'm sure I could think of more!