Sideshow's Combo Generator

Steve

In his own words...........

"Hi Sigma,

I posted on the dv2 board about software that generates combos off samples you give it...remember?

Here is a demo file it came up with. It'd be cool if you could post it on the board to see what people think of it, to see whether it's worth trying to do it so others could use it. I think it was loaded with: baby, chirp, chop, tips and 1 click flare orbit - I told it to create an 8 beat pattern and this is what it did.

Cheers,

Sideshow"

Click HERE to download the example. Personally I think it's a cool idea and if it was expanded on it could be really useful. What do you guys think?

only just seen this, thanks for putting it up sig

@clown - it's written in vb

it is a LONG way off finished but i'll crack on with it

the gutting thing is i don't get much spare time and when i've been writing this i haven't had time to practice my own scratching !!

bugger!

thanks for the comments, i'll keep you posted as i get chance to do more

this is why i was asking about tutorials earlier

i expect i'll need some help when it comes to doing more varied scratches, they all need to be recorded at the same tempo etc

Wait a minute... so this thing actually spits out your combos for you?

Crazy idea!

One downside is, you'll probably get a whole bunch of Asis-ers burning a cross or a big effigy of some turntables outside your house once word gets around.

I was listening again to the audio sample a minute ago. I think one thing you need to be careful of is including combos that are impossible. There are a couple of bits where there's a long release on ahhhhhh followed directly by some tips. You wouldn't be able to pull the record back in time to do them.

The more I think about this whole idea though the more I like it. Even with simple scratches it can help you to break out of set patterns and try new combos, even by just copying what the program comes up with. If you stick in some algorithms so that certain impossible combos don't appear then I think this will be wicked. What would be good is say 3 beats, 1 slow, 1 medium, 1 fast so you can practice to different tempos. If you posted up the beats we could all record scratches over them that you could sample to include in the program.

Another idea would be a skill level setting. You could have a low setting that excludes the more technical combos and scratches for the beginner and then a harder setting that includes them all or whatever.

Anyway - hope you don't take this as criticism - just trying to come up with some ideas to help you out. :rolleyes:

yep, you're spot on there sig

i haven't added it yet, but each scratch will have a property for which direction it finishes

ie, a scratch which starts in the forward direction like a forward baby could never happen directly after a scratch which ended in the forward direction, like a forward flare

it won't be difficult to do that, i just haven't done it yet

also there is an option where some types of scratches are preferred to be repeated a little, like chirps - so it is more likely to do 2 or 3 in a row (or more) than just a single

the skill level etc will be all user selectable so i think you'll be able to get it to do whatever you want

as i make progress i'll let you know to see what you think

and the 3 tempo's is a good idea, i'd just need all the scratch samples at the 3 tempos, no biggie

sadly not

i have done image manipulation, emailing, integration with ms office, barcode reading, scanning (using twain) and all the other boring stuff that goes with writing software for a distribution company.

i only get to do dull stuff. the only small consellation is that every month they drive a dumptruck full of cash to my house. by that i mean the wages are good!

'dumptruck of cash' - bastard!

i'll let you know as i have something to look at and see what you reckon

did you do the flash loopers?

hehe.

ok mate. if you need any help, not saying i'll know anything you won't, but sometimes 2 heads are better than one!

yeh i did the flash loopers. i've been dabbling with flash on and off for about 4 years.

yeh its super easy to do it in flash. you literally just put the sound onto the frame, then assign the "click" event of a button to point to the frame where the sound is. hang on, i'll find out the link to the "loop playa template" i posted on dv, and post it here. then you can give it a try . . .

aiiight here we go:

=========================

You'll need Flash 5 for this ( well thats what i use, but 4 or mx would do )

Get this .fla file - http://www.30cms.co.uk/loopplayas/loopplayatemplate.fla

Open it, then import into flash the 5 beats/tunes/whatever. . . .wavs work best

When they are in your library, copy each beat to the lyrBeats layer, at positions 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 respectively. Make sure you click on the frame first, and make sure you are on lyrBeats.

If it all goes tits up, reopen it and start again.

Make sure you set the loop property for each sound, in the sound panel - i set them to 999 loops.

Hit F12 to test it ( it may take a few seconds to compile )

When it's good, publish it. Make sure you publish sound settings are set to stereo.

Now flash isn't the easiest UI to use, especially if you haven't used it much. In fact, until you are proficient it can be a bit maddening.

Any probs, let me know!

=========================

taken directly from "build your own flash loop playa" i posted in dv a while back

flash can be a bit of a slag's ass to get the hang of. but for stuff like loop players its dope.

there is code that you can do, but it all seems to be auto-generated-with-a-mouse-click stuff :huh:

The combo generator basically has a load of samples of different scratches loaded into it. It creates scratching out of the combos which is the cutting you heard in the file. There is no actual person scratching in that file, it's just the program generating the combos.