old skool nu skool

dessau

Instead of kissing it goodbye, if artists paid more attention to it, hip hop in general would be far more interesting.

Formula for a hip hop hit in 2006: -

Ingredients: -

1 "jiggy" (aka crap) beat

1 chanted inane but catchy chorus

3 verses about bitches, money and guns

1 rapper, preferably with a "gangstA" image

1 video with said bitches, money and guns (the more bitches the better)

0 DJs (the DJ became defunct about a decade ago)

Mix thoroughly for 10 minutes until you've created a formulaic track barely different from any other artist. Repeat 15 times if you want an album. Sit back and listen to your track played every hour on commercial radio stations and MTV and wait for the money to roll on, safe in the knowledge you're "keeping it real". The end.

Hey - why don't we burn all the history books, classic literature and works of art while we're at it? Bulldoze ancient monuments too?

Old school is the foundation for not only a large part of the modern music scene but for many people it's their culture. If you're happy listening to all the thugged-out Fiddy wannabes who litter the adverts in The Source, you go right ahead. Me - I'll be listening to well crafted original inventive beats and lyrics from back in the day.

Frankly, I'm amazed I wasted this much time responding to this question.

but how relevant is old skool hiphop to modern day skratching? the feeling I'm getting is that if someone isn't deriving inspiration from the old skool then there stuff ain't worth shit, is this a correct synopsis? An analogous argument would say jet engines are shit because propellers were good. With that in mind lets hear it!

p.s I'm not hating on the old skool, I think whatever art form you're into it's very important to learn about where it's come from.

Edited by dessau

but how relevant is old skool hiphop to modern day skratching?
The elements of hip hop have become separated from each other. In the old days the DJ was an integral part of a hip hop crew. The DJ is supposed to be the backbone of hip hop, not take a back seat.

An analogous argument would say jet engines are shit because propellers were good.

Not really, cos you're talking about technique rather than a DJs place in hip hop. Obviously techniques are going to become more advanced. When I listen to scratching, I listen to how it sounds, not how complex the techniques are. To me, the older scratches that a lot of people don't seem to care for anymore sound as good as the new ones.

The golden years of hip hop are not called that for nothing. BigTim on here is 14 and his favourite era is the same as mine and I'm 36 so it's not a case of me being stuck in the past - it's more a case of the music I once loved becoming stale and boring. Back in the 80s and early 90s, creativity was higher generally and the music wasn't as formulaic.

If you're talking about scratch based music then that's another thing altogether, because it's a lot newer than hip hop.

I think the point about skratch music is the point I'm trying to make in some respects. Is it right to bring out the old skool big gun references in relation to modern day skratch music? When skratch music steps way outside the zone of hiphop in terms of musical references. The way I see it, skratch music is its own genre entirely, and hiphop is merely one influence out of many, on it. So is it time to sever links and make a stand for "turntablism" in it's own right?

There aren't really any old school big guns making scratch music though is there? Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying there. Do people refer to old school DJs when discussing scratch music?

Scratch music is only one aspect of turntablism too. At the end of the day I don't care what boxes people put genres and sub-genres into.

I think the point about skratch music is the point I'm trying to make in some respects. Is it right to bring out the old skool big gun references in relation to modern day skratch music? When skratch music steps way outside the zone of hiphop in terms of musical references. The way I see it, skratch music is its own genre entirely, and hiphop is merely one influence out of many, on it. So is it time to sever links and make a stand for "turntablism" in it's own right?

Yeah except I'd sooner give up "scratch music" than hip hop.

Hip hop is a culture. Scratch music is a concept.

Btw... Steve, I SOOOOOOOOOOOO agree w/ you that people over look old school scratches. If you listen to Jazzy Jeff, he doesn't do any triple click orbits or delayed flares, etc. but his scratches sound DOPE and they're funky as fuck and that why he can still rock any crowd anywhere.

The only people that really make "scratch music" (that fairly well recognized that is) are Ned Hoddings Crew, Q-Bert? (he's made 1 album in like 25 years), X-ecutioners Crew, 2tall, Kid Koala, etc. I know I'm leaving tons of ppl out, but I think those are most recognized. Now I guess you can kinda call X-ecutioners old school, but the only "old school" dj of all of them that Really makes scratch music is D-styles. Thus I ask, what are you talking about man?

ah yea, kiss old school goodbye, old school was just a bunch of gays anyway... who's jazzy jeff anyway? can someone post a scetch or an ahh file?

pz.