Re-coding DivX soundtracks to lower bitrate?

trick

Hello all,

Here's a teaser for you: I got an Archos AV700 PMP for Christmas, and I'm fucking loving it. Ripping DVDs is no problem, but you have to conform to certain technical requirements. The main one of these causing me the most trouble is that the audio part of the file must be at 128k mp3, and nothing more.

Now, when ripping my own DVDs that's fine; I just set it to encode the video in DivX or Xvid and stipulate a 128k CBR mp3 for the audio.

BUT, when I download a movie from the web, the audio on any DivX or Xvid is invariably higher than 128k, meaning that while the video plays fine, I hear no audio.

Soooo, could anyone tell me how I can re-code a DivX or Xvid video, such that the video part remains unchanged, but the audio is re-encoded to 128k mp3? I have used Dr DivX (v1.x), and right now I have a curious issue with it halving the video quality, as if its compressing and already compressed file again.

Basically I was hoping there'd be an easy way to convert just the audio element to 128k MP3, but it seems otherwise. I did also try using Virtualdub, but being 100% out of my comfort zone with these progs I didn't get very far.

Ideas anyone? I'd love to get these movies ready for watching on the move...

thanks!