RIPPING A GAPLESS CD

Steve

If you have a mix CD that's split into separate tracks, unless you rip and encode it properly, when someone else burns the files there will be slight gaps or clicks between each track. This is because mp3 is not generally a gapless format and you must use specific methods when encoding.

I use Nero to rip CDs to wav files, but you can use EAC, DBPowerAmp or any other software of your choice. You'll also need winLAME, which you can get HERE.

Before you start any programs, create a folder for the tracks you're about to rip. If you want to use Nero, the first stage is to make sure the CD you are ripping is in the drive, then start the main Nero program (not Nero Express), cancel out of the wizard that starts up and then hit Extras then Save Tracks. Select the drive containing the disc and hit OK. You'll then be asked if you want to connect to the Internet to get the album information. It's up to you if you want to do this - I personally never bother. On the next screen, all the tracks on the disc should be highlighted. If not, hit the Select All button. Where it says "Output file format:" select the following from the drop down list: -

PCM Wav file (*.wav; *.wave)

Underneath that, where it says "Path:", hit the Browse button and select the empty folder you created earlier. I set the "File name creation method:" to Manual, but if you want to change the settings (e.g. if you got the album info from the Internet) that's up to you. When you're done, press Go. The process will begin and all your tracks will be ripped as wav files. Once it's complete exit out of Nero and rename your tracks.

Now you are ready to encode. Start winLAME, then drag and drop the entire folder of wav files to the Audio File window. It should look something like this (with proper file names in your case!): -

winlame1.jpg

Hit Next, then on the following screen, make sure the Output Module is set as "LAME mp3 Encoder". Also, check the following boxes: -

"use input file's folder as output location"

"delete after encoding"

"create output playlist"

Hit Next again, then on the following screen choose "default" from the Preset List and hit Next.

Now you must choose your bitrate settings. This is totally down to you, but I would go with nothing less than 192 CBR (constant bitrate). VBR (variable bitrate) is even better. If you select this, make sure that the minimal bitrate is not set too low, again I would have it no less than 192. I usually set the maximum bitrate to 320 to get the best quality. The other settings should be like this: -

"MPEG Type / Output Frequency" - MPEG-1: 44100Hz

"Channel Mode" - Stereo

"Algorithm Quality" - I usually go with Q2, but if you want the best, go with Q0

Finally and most importantly, check the box that says "nogap encoding". You can also check the box that says "hide advanced settings". Your screen should look something like this: -

winlame2.jpg

Hit Next and you're on the last stage. All that remains to do on this screen is hit the little play icon and the encoding process will start.

Once encoding is complete (it may take a while), you will have a folder containing LAME encoded gapless mp3 files that should be of a nice quality. All the wav files will have been deleted by winLAME. You can now zip this folder and upload it. To play and burn gapless mp3s, you are best off using foobar2000, which you can download by clicking HERE.

This may seem like a lengthy guide, but it really doesn't take long at all. The ripping process from CD is quick and it takes about a minute to run through the winLAME settings. Encoding may take a fair time depending on the size and amount of files, but it's worth it to get the best results.

• 2 months later...

If you want to use LAME 3.90.3 with this, then here are the files you need: -

Either one of these (not both!): -

http://www.rarewares.org/files/libmmd6.zip

http://www.rarewares.org/files/libmmd7.zip

And this: -

http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/nLAME-3.90.3.zip

Extract them to the winLAME directory and restart the program.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Deeswift

Dunno, I use my own version of LAME based on 3.90.3 Modified. It uses the classic Razorlame v1.1.5 front-end. Never tried WinLAME.

Encoding speed is more likely to be the codec though. Later versions of LAME are faster, but even though 3.90.3 is fairly old, it's still the most tried, tuned and trusted.

You're welcome to try my installable LAME, it only gives you a choice of --alt-preset standard or --alt-preset extreme, but I figured that's all most of us really need. Whether it's faster or uses less resources than WinLAME though, I'm not sure.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03NZNV9L

Guest Deeswift

OK mang. Once installed, run it and click the "LAME" button. Click "Load Options", then choose a preset from the VBR folder. All you gotta do after that is drop your .wav's into the window and click the Encode button.

If you need extra presets for CBR and ABR, there's a little zip file on my FTP:

http://www.ninjastyle.plus.com/downloads/N...tra.Presets.zip

is it me, or is winlame kind of slow and use up a good bit of resources..?

On the final screen where you press play to encode is a thread priority slider. At any point you can increase this which speeds up the encoding process, but uses more CPU power, or you can lower it which takes longer for the encode, but is easier on your PC. To be honest, I leave it at normal and even on my old machine it's fine. I've not really noticed it taking longer to encode than any other program I've tried either, but I guess it can vary depending on your PC.