A-Trak vs. Prime Cuts 1999 ITF: was there a tie breaker?

Vekked

No clue if anyone will actually know this, but...

I got some of the 1999 ITF vids and there was a bit I'd never seen before from the scratch category. They do this part:

Then they each go for 1 minute with just the fresh sample after, but there's no context... seems like maybe a tie breaker? It also seemed sorta weird/unfair too. They both just scratch fresh for 1 minute but A-Trak's was clearly freestyle whereas Prime Cuts seemed pretty planned out, so needless to say Prime Cuts kinda crushed him.

Not really any thing to do with what you were saying but I was just listening to this at work and A-Traks set sounded so much nicer and more musical than Prime cuts... His just sounded like shit noises.

• Like 1

yea, A-Trak's routine aged better no doubt. I think a lot of feedback/platter/gimmick type stuff was really time dependent and, even more so than usual, a significant amount of what makes those routines good is purely the fact that it was new and innovative when they did it.

is it where prime cuts goes over alaphabet aerobics and atrak cuts fresh over a kinda slow enough beat...?

Yessir. On my vid it just says "round 2", doesn't say whether it was a tie breaker or if it was pre-planned or anything. It seems like it's supposed to be some sort of freestyle round, but Prime Cuts re-cued his beat in 3 diff places and had his beat cuts and euro stuff worked out. Would be interesting to know the background. Impressive if it was totally impromptu and Prime Cuts stickered them up right before he went or something.

I think I remember Prime Cuts saying that he knew that there could be an aaah or fresh tie breaker, with the judges deciding on the day which sound to use, and he had prepared the blakalicous thing in advance. Presumably he could swap in an 'aah' sound easily enough.

Not really any thing to do with what you were saying but I was just listening to this at work and A-Traks set sounded so much nicer and more musical than Prime cuts... His just sounded like shit noises.

I thought that was the patented Perverts sound ©.

The thing with this is that Prime Cuts could have been the better DJ if he had not used those feedback gimmicks wich i never enjoyed from the Perverts...i know he can do proper scratches but every time he just failed to make a solid routine without any gimmicks...

So basically A-trak was better but Prime Cuts could have been better if he wanted to. Some cats just wanted to impress too much wich kinda backfired. On the other hand this was over a decade ago..so it was kinda innovative but never my taste.

when i did itf world scratching final in 2000 aginst prime cuts and execss ..itf sprung a 1 deck 1.30 extra drumming routine on me like 2 weeks before...i dindnt really drum back then....wasnt that on the 2000 video vekked ..? i was ultra shit.....but excess ended up doing a juggle almost with 2 decks..and prime cuts did some weird feedbacky platter needle bizniss so it was game over for me ..hehe

when i did itf world scratching final in 2000 aginst prime cuts and execss ..itf sprung a 1 deck 1.30 extra drumming routine on me like 2 weeks before...i dindnt really drum back then....wasnt that on the 2000 video vekked ..? i was ultra shit.....but excess ended up doing a juggle almost with 2 decks..and prime cuts did some weird feedbacky platter needle bizniss so it was game over for me ..hehe

oh nah, the vid I have is a dvd with random bits from every year... mostly just the finals sets, but not even all of them. Interesting, I'd like to see that too. Your 2000 set was pretty beasty, definitely the cleanest out of all 3 sets. No clue how to judge that battle, Excess did like juggles and Prime Cuts did feedback and I think some juggles too, but it was supposed to be a scratch battle, lol.

• Like 1