cresent flares

d00ban

ok so i dont get em

i can do em (to the extent of DIY vol 1) but then i never seem to get in the flow of em if u know what i mean and be able to bust any other combos with em, i tend to put in an extra click and just do transformers that sound like em, they just seem a bit limited compared to other techniques, same with original flares

am i missing something here? lemme know ;)

Nice one for posting up a pic broke, should make this thread useful for new comers. However I don't think its the scratch itself which doob is having problems with but more how to use it in his flow. Personally I have exactly the same problem, the cresent flare was fun to learn but I never use it.

man that's some crazy shit I'm still trying to get down! Thanks for the pic!

I'll tell you how I learnt the crescent flare, I realised that it was in 2 halves with the second half being the exact opposite of the first.

1st half: start with the fader open, push the record forwards and close the fader twice with the second time leaving it closed.

2nd half: with fader closed pull the record back and open it twice leaving open on the second time

repeat.

That may not help but that's how I got the hang of it, one you get used to it it becomes one scratch and it's just 3 clicks rather than opening and closing the fade.

Hope that helps ;)

Alternate them with 3 clickers (orbits). Your fader hand just keeps doing three clicks and your record hand changes it up. Pretty good way of practicing flowing with them with other cuts.

If you're having problems with the cut itself it's very similar to a 1 click flare forward and 2 transforms back.

cheers for the reponses fellas

yeah the technique isnt what worries me its busting it in combos. the cresent over tears looks like a good idea. cant really do tears with clicks over em yet think i might start practising getting that down, nice one!

man that's some crazy shit I'm still trying to get down! Thanks for the pic!

I'll tell you how I learnt the crescent flare, I realised that it was in 2 halves with the second half being the exact opposite of the first.

1st half: start with the fader open, push the record forwards and close the fader twice with the second time leaving it closed.

2nd half: with fader closed pull the record back and open it twice leaving open on the second time

repeat.

That may not help but that's how I got the hang of it, one you get used to it it becomes one scratch and it's just 3 clicks rather than opening and closing the fade.

Hope that helps ;)

Thanks for the tips x

• 3 weeks later...

Good news...I've just found out that crescent flare are fucking dope and they can fit right into your flow! Basically they work really well when combine with chips and flares, try some of these:

chip crescent flares

Exactly the same as chirp flares but with an extra click in between the 2 flares. It sounds like a chirp flare bit with sharps sounds on the flare bit.

chip flares/crescent flares

A little extension on the previous one, basically mix it up a bit, do a chip then a flare orbit then a chip then a crescent flare then a chirp then a flare obit etc. You can stick to the pattern or start to mix it up a bit.

flare crescent flares

If you're doing flare orbits you can chuck the extra click in there to create a crescent flare...so switching between flares and crescent flares are quite easy.

flares to reverse crescent flares

If you're feeling adventurous when doing the last one then instead of adding the extra click at the end of the forward motion you can do it as the end of the backward motion creating a reverse crescent flare.

escaping from from the chirp flare hell hole with 3 click flares

Like dexterous said going between crescent flares and 3 click flares works well and if like me you get stuck in the chirp flare void from time to time then you can switch into a crescent flare then to a 3 click flare and you have escaped lol.

Well anyway...there are my discoveries for the evening...I hope someone finds them useful and if you work some more shit out then let me know!