Photo

A break from practicing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Karol

Karol
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

What's up y'all ?  Due to my long-awaited visit to the UK I'm going to take one month break from scratching. I know it's not "that long", yet it's rather frustrating. I'm having dark thoughts of losing skills and coming back to the times when I was starting scratching. I know Chile had to hold off for 2 years... Were I to stop scratching for such a long period I would probably never go back to turntables. How long did your breaks last? and how long does it take to get in practice? 

Edited by Karol, 07 August 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#2 Jon

Jon

Oh HAI Wax0N btw!

• Elite Member
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

You'll be fine :) give it a couple of intense hours and you'll be back on form.

#3 Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Psychotic Fader Fingerer

• Elite Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

I had a six or seven months hiatus once, but like Jon said after a while everything comes flooding back. Your be fine Karol :8

#4 ericuk

ericuk

1200 GAE Lover

• Elite Member
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:13 PM

I'm more time away from decks these days but the fire still burns. When I get on them I progress so happy days. Sometimes a break is good.

It was hard to spoon correctly with an award winning boner and 3 animals scattered across the bed. 

#5 d00ban

d00ban

Coolest Mom

• Elite Member
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:30 AM

It's like riding a bike dude. honestly it's nice sometimes as your cuts sound new and refreshing to yourself.

#6 Phology

Phology

• Elite Member
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

It's like riding a bike dude. honestly it's nice sometimes as your cuts sound new and refreshing to yourself.

#7 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar
  • Elite Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

Your muscle memory, and your muscles themselves, will weaken but it's easier to build back than it was the first time around.

#8 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Elite Member
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

I quit for six years and started again a few months ago, I'm a much better DJ for it to be honest.
  • 73fso likes this

#9 Karol

Karol
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

I quit for six years and started again a few months ago, I'm a much better DJ for it to be honest.

It's hard to believe dude but, congratulations. I have been thinking maybe are there any scratch Jam sessions or scratch events coming to West Midlands shortly. So it might be a good idea to take one day off and go practicing. 

Edited by Karol, 09 August 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#10 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Elite Member
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

👍🏻

#11 iexist

iexist

Air Jordan

• Elite Member
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

i quit for 3 years due to having a bad outlook towards djing bc of playing in clubs.. i had also sold my equipment for financial reasons, so the temptation wasn't there. I'm not sure what made me want to come back but, I can say I am back for the same reasons I got into djing in the first place.. which is scratching. i have a lot more focus and confidence with practicing and with what I'm doing and I just all around have a better appreciation for the craft as a whole.

• JHouse likes this

"here you are kids. here's a set of turntables, but dON'T YOU DARE COPY MY STYLE BITCH!" - Symatic

#12 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Elite Member
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

That's it, a breaks gave me a more relaxed and focuses approach to scratching, made me slow down and focus more on combos or cuts I couldn't master.

I actually love it more now
  • Psychedelic Schizophrenic likes this

#13 A-Skate

A-Skate
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:31 AM

Took up practicing just recently after about 6-7 years off (started djing around '99-00, when turntablism was getting big). Pretty much quit due to playing regular club nights, and all music, especially hip hop, started to sound stale. Continued DJing, but wasn't really enjoying music at all.

Even though I never got really good, since I live in a country with about half a dozen turntablists scattered around the country and practicing alone (and pre-youtube). It's fun now,and I'm surprised how quickly you pick up stuff, even though the power moves like tears, chirps, and stabs are almost impossible at double time, due to having my weaker hand on the record.

Oddly enough, after all these years, it feels I finally wrapped my head around more of the advanced 2 and 3 click concepts, like delayed, boomerangs and autobahn type of stuff. Fun times. :)

#14 JHouse

JHouse

DV Tattletale

• Elite Member
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

I've taken some long breaks, but end up practicing in my head, executing different patterns. These mind skratch games usually end up translating well upon returning to the tables.

#15 Symatic

Symatic
  • Elite Member
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:58 PM

i had 3 weeks off over christmas, cos i was away from home, and came back refreshed and ready for new shit. also i had a few scratch tracks on my headphones which i really paid attention to - youtube gets us obsessed with how things look, but listening to how they sound is important, i know thats been said before many times but this recent occasion really stuck with me

#16 Karol

Karol
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Yo, I've just returned from my let's call it "every year break" cuz every year from june to september I'm away from home working and can't practice. Really, last year I was afraid. Yesterday I sat to the TT, today I recalled all the techniques. Symatic, see you soon on the Tinychat.com Gotta kick your ass

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users