DV battle feedback thread

If you have any thoughts on the DV battle, good or bad, post them up here. Also, if you have any ideas of how the battle could be improved for next year, post them up too.

Next year I'm thinking of getting a proper website sorted out for the battle. That would be better for publicity and it would be better for the sponsors. While I care most about keeping the contestants happy, sponsors do expect something in return, so that would definitely help in that respect as we could stick their logos up on there and what have you. One thing I will never do is change the format of the battle based on sponsors and what they want, as I want the battle to always be as credible as possible when it comes to the judging. We will never use a "spam this shit all over Facebook to get your friends to vote for you" judging method, although I get why other comps do that. If that means that the DV battle always remains a small thing, that's fine.

One thing I almost certainly won't change is the way we choose beats. I want to give the DJs a range of tempos/styles and old/new school beats to cut over because A) I think that makes for a more interesting competition and B) you will never be able to have beats that everyone likes. But yeah, I will tweak next year's battle based on the feedback I get in this thread, so if nobody speaks up, I will assume everyone is cool with the format as it is.

Guest Symatic

its been pretty sweet so far mate, nice one!

I guess we could up the pace between rounds a bit, but this might be down to peoples ability to fit massively important online dj scratch battles among trivial things like children and jobs.

it would be cool to get a scratch-room battle going some time, like organise an online meet up on a sunday or something, have a live thing...

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

yeah, I agree - it instigated the creation of some of the illest scratch videos the whole interweb. seriously. I think it works perfectly as it is. it definitely shouldn't be a popularity contest - that would totally devalue the whole thing. having a proper judging panel is the only way to go.

to be honest, i think the format was absolutely bang-on. just need to get my cuts up to... scratch... for next year

Guest petesasqwax

just had an additional though - if there was a site could there be an option for DJs to have a short profile on there too? not everyone, perhaps, but those who get through the eliminations to the 2nd round proper.

I noticed that Fakser has a tiny number of soundcloud followers in relation to his level of talent - people should be all over that stuff!

https://soundcloud.com/fakser

IQ doesn't have much more either, although there's nowhere near as much cuts related stuff on there

https://soundcloud.com/djiq-hd

sometimes one of the main things we're bad at (as DJs in general) is self-promotion. anything we can do to help that has to be a good thing, I think.

Funnily enough, the only thing I was going to mention was the beats...

But Sy raises a good point about the timing, i.e. speeding things up a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

One of my oldest mates is a website designer by trade, so I've pushed a few ideas in his direction to see what he can come up with (and what it will cost me, lol). I love the idea of having competitor bios with links to their sites, SoundCloud pages etc. and I would extend that to the judges and sponsors too, albeit on different tabs/pages.

I definitely like the idea of a scratch off for 3rd place, but it really depends on us getting some decent sponsorship and prizes.

As for the time between rounds, I asked the DJs for feedback on that this time, but I do agree that it's dragged on a bit longer than it should have.

My 2 main aims for this are to keep it credible and to make sure that the DJs are happy, so while I'm running it, it will never become a popularity contest at any stage.

I unfortunately didnt keep up with all the rounds. I think if we as forum members had a vote (even if it was a small part of the decision) then I would have listened to more of the rounds. Either way tho, good job running the battle. It was much longer/in/depth than I ever expected.

I thought about having a "DV vote" as one of the judges, but there's no way of stopping that becoming the equivalent of a public vote, where doods get their mates to sign up and vote for them.

I did make a mistake in round 1 though, in that, mathematically speaking, if you didn't vote at all, you had more chance of getting through to round 2. I spotted it, but it was too late to change it by then, but thankfully it made no difference to the outcome.

I thought about having a "DV vote" as one of the judges, but there's no way of stopping that becoming the equivalent of a public vote, where doods get their mates to sign up and vote for them.

you could do this with only long term members, or people above a certain number of posts or join date so there couldn't really be any of the bullshit.

We just would also have to think of ways to up the views, thereby increasing the possibility of future sponsors. spam it DMC style is the only answer and you know it!

maybe if it was a sponsor with a decent youtube following, the vids should be uploaded onto their youtube page to attract their subscribers.

I see that most IDA scratch category videos have about 6000 views each... obviously its more established, and has 2,700 subscribers...

but thats still quite a good number of views. especially given that its the nerdy category of an already nerdy subject...

the DV ones got around 1400 for the finals, which i still think is very respectable for a first time.

actually looking at it now, fakser got more views than IQ most of the way.... you should ask him if he's doin anything to publicise...

1400:800 on some of them...

i know its not the be all and end all, but more likes and shit on Fb would mean a lot to sponsors, and i don't think compared to the actual views it did amazing on that...

In terms of promo, I really don't want to do anything that compromises the battle. I know exactly why DMC use the format they do for the online comp, but the public votes thing is the one thing I really dislike about that battle. People will re-enter DMC Online another year even if they get knocked out by some wack public vote because it's the most prestigious DJ battle with a long history and great prizes.

As far as sponsors go, I will do a better job next time, because we'll have a dedicated website and YouTube channel that will feature their logos, info and links, and I'll get an intro made for the videos that features their logos too, but I would rather the community helped me promote it as an alternative to a public voting system. I could also have done a better job with that myself, but this time I'll have longer to prepare.

The only way I would want to use public voting is if it didn't affect the outcome of the battle. For example, there could be a separate prize/title for the "public's favourite" or whatever. The problem with having a public vote and restricting it to particular member groups on DV is that that doesn't give contestants the incentive to go posting about their videos on Facebook etc. as it's only existing members that can vote, who are almost certainly going to be watching the vids anyway. There has to be a way to do this so we can give people an incentive to post about the battle, but without compromising the integrity. If there's not, then I would rather just keep the battle small, instead of aiming to get bigger sponsors on board who are going to want something that I'm not willing to give them.

I asked the main man at DJ-Tech for some feedback about the battle, from his POV as a sponsor, and thankfully he was very pleased: -

This event was amazing from my point of view.

So I think we did alright for a first try and with fairly limited preparation time.

I can't speak for the other sponsors, but I would imagine they're less enthusiastic about how it went, but to be fair, all of the other sponsors jumped on board after the battle had started, so only DJ-Tech were mentioned on the flyer and what have you. We won't be in that situation next time as I plan to get everything ready well in advance.