Unheard of Instruments in the Saxophone Family

djdiggla

https://youtu.be/OL-f6Jcvf_E

this is an instrument called the hang invented in the year 2000 by Felix Rohner & Sabine Scharer,the hang uses some of the same physical principles as a Steelpan.but its modified in such a way as to act more like a Helmholtz resonator

• Like 1

^^That's super cool but looks too hard. I like the hang. Looks amazing and so beautiful sounding.

Dan that kantele kinda reminds me of a cross between a pedalsteel and a omnichord.

Omichord:

Pedal Steel

https://youtu.be/8F8PLsV2dVk

and a bonus Robert Randolph vid because he's so awesome.

https://youtu.be/BK561tuWA90

• Like 1

Lordy mama..that guy is absolutely nailing it to the wall with the pedal steel there dude ,I dont think ive ever heard anyone use distortion with a pedal steel like that before, its normally all sweet and twangy sounding .. thats a great little band he has there as well by the way..id not heard of them before but ill definitely check them out some more on youtube

Yeah man, they give me chills. I saw them live and it was amazing. Unfortunately, the albums I've heard just can't capture their energy. Also, everyone in the band can play every instrument and they start rotating swapping instruments in a song or two.

• 4 weeks later...

One of those Hang hand-steel drums is coming up for sale. It's a lottery system and $2400 but heads up anyways.

This is the same maker and key as the one for sale:

Fill out this form.

http://www.cfoulke.com/specialoffers.html

I'm thinking about entering even tho I don't have $2400. Maybe I can sell something if I'm selected.

Restrictions:
- One entry per person
- Payment must be sent within 48hrs of winning, if not, another random number will be generated
- Payment via Paypal
- Entries will be taken until Friday, April 29th, 8pm PST. Random number will be generated and winner announced not long after.

Thats roughly about £1.650.00 sterling and quite a lot of money in my opinion

I never realized they were so expensive to buy

as nice as it is I couldnt justify paying that much,

for the same money I would probably buy this instrument and still have around £500 left to spend on something else I wanted

Yeah the problem is they are all hand made, hand tuned and extremely time intensive to make. There are only 5 people in the US able and only 3 actually making them. It's so time intensive that a few stopped because it's hard to even make money off it. A few people are exploring cheaper faster alternatives. I like that it's tuned to basically be dummy proof. If I had one I'd probably just place it in the living room for anyone to play.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Nice bump! Theremins are awesome and that's a really nice one... way nicer than mine. They are crazy hard to play and also the sound makes my wife want to murderize me.

• Like 2

Nice bump! Theremins are awesome and that's a really nice one... way nicer than mine. They are crazy hard to play and also the sound makes my wife want to murderize me.

Cool..so you have a Theremin, Dirk?

Post a photo of it sometime,I'd like to see that..or better still make a YouTube vid of you playing it in front of the missus,hehe!..:)

• Like 1

LOL. I will when I get my studio fixed up and everything unboxed. Can't even get to it at this point. Mine is the cheaper version of that one in the clip. Both are made by Moog. Mine has one less octave but costs half the price. People that are really seriously into them tho opt for the more expensive not so much because of the octave but because that one is more stable. They are effected by the humidity in the air so if you are going to actually gig it's a lot better to have the nice one.

• Like 1

LOL. I will when I get my studio fixed up and everything unboxed. Can't even get to it at this point. Mine is the cheaper version of that one in the clip. Both are made by Moog. Mine has one less octave but costs half the price. People that are really seriously into them tho opt for the more expensive not so much because of the octave but because that one is more stable. They are effected by the humidity in the air so if you are going to actually gig it's a lot better to have the nice one.

wait... you got the studio worked out? did you end up building or just using a bedroom?

Yeah I'm building... still not totally worked out but pretty close... waiting on bids to see if I'm doing something super simple or a litter more custom.

• Like 2