Rogers LS3/5A Monitor Loudspeaker (ex BBC) - power amp questions

I just managed to score some FREE speakers from work, a pair of ex BBC Rogers LS3/5A.

I didn't know much about these speakers, having done some research they seem to be prized amongst hi-fi enthusiasts as loudspeakers that have a true and natural sound.

I want to try and use them in my studio but I don't know really know what I'm looking for, in terms of a powered amp. (I really should know all about this, having spent 4 years at uni studying stuff like this - but oh well).

Are these suitable speakers for home studio use? As they seem more like tannoy speakers..

On the back there's this plate -

Nominal Impedance: 15 OHMS

Handling Capacity: 25 WATTS SPEECH & MUSIC

From what I can gather, the correct way to set them up is get a powered amplifier with an output impedance of 8ohms, or a matching 15ohms. (??)

Anyone good with this sort of thing that can help me out? Otherwise I'll probably just sell them (they go for good money on eBay!)

Cheers

Guest Symatic

dope speakers! yeah they are really nice man, get a decent 30 - 70 watt amp on em. depending on how much money you wanna spend. a good cheap bet is a Rotel amp, theyre solid, sound good, you can get em on ebay for £30....

or if you wanna go hifi you could find some nice old Quad pre/power amp setup..... but thats lots of money probably....

they'll be good for studio use on voices and natural acoustic sounds, which they should reproduce very well, they won't kick out the bass though so dont be disappointed if dubstep or edm sounds a little tame.

theyll probably make all your mp3's sound gash as well :) but don't worry, that's a good thing :)

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Yeah the guy at work was telling me that they aren't very bassy but have a 'true' rich sound so should be ok, i'm sure i can tweak the low frequencies to come through somehow.

I don't make or play EDM but you reckon trip-hop kinda stuff will sound ok?

Guest Symatic

yeah i was using EDM as an extreme example hahah. yeah trip hop, anything with 'real' sounds will sounds well nice i reckon.

you could combine with a decent subwoofer to get a really good system.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Hi-fi enthusiasts will pay well over the odds for anything rare or vintage regardless of how good it actually sounds. Just sell them - they'll fetch way more money than they're actually worth (>£700 if they're in good nick).

Use the money to buy some really good powered studio monitors (Adam A7X for example) that'll do a FAR better job than the LS3/5As and won't require a separate amp.

• Like 1

Hi-fi enthusiasts will pay well over the odds for anything rare or vintage regardless of how good it actually sounds. Just sell them - they'll fetch way more money than they're actually worth (>£700 if they're in good nick).

Use the money to buy some really good powered studio monitors (Adam A7X for example) that'll do a FAR better job than the LS3/5As and won't require a separate amp.

Good point. I already have some fairly decent monitors, a pair of Cerwin-Vega CLSC-6

...so could sell the Rogers and use the money elsewhere.

Guest Symatic

yeah looking at it that way, rasteri is right, if you wanna use em in the studio and make music other than acoustic sing songy stuff, you'd do better with active monitors.

I was thinking more along the hi fi route to be honest....

• Like 1

I think i'll sell them. They're cool but from doing more research they're primarily used as field reference monitors instead of headphones by the BBC, there's little to no bass so making music on them isn't really gonna work.

Soon I'm gonna be re-organising my studio set up and have a new mixing desk to install, so I might go ahead and buy a new amplifier for the Cerwin-Vega's instead.

Buying the correct amp seems straight forward but there's a lot to consider. I think I'm right in thinking that I would need an amp with 150w and 8ohms impedance ( <--this is me talking to myself).

This video was helpful, sometimes you need someone to just explain things on a whiteboard...

Guest rasteri

Nah that's well underpowered, "max" power is another one of these ratings that amp and speaker manufacturers use to swindle people. Look at the RMS figure for the "true" power rating (which is usually still exaggerated).

Despite what it says, that is a 100W amp (50W per channel). You need at least 200W - or 2x100W @ 8Ω (ideally 300W or 2x150W @ 8Ω)

• Like 1

I'll probably keep them for a while until I can properly sell them, but if I do keep them I'll defo check out a Rotel amp they look sweeeeet!

There's a whole stack of these Rogers speakers at work, might try and swipe another pair!