Help me write a syllabus

FlipFlop

alright so i know it might sound kinda weird and dumb...but over here in Portland theres a new rising company out here (and very legit) thats starting up an academy for dj/production/music business. I was referd to them from a friend of mine to be a instructor for there DJ120-220 classes. 120 being beginners 220 being intermediate. The administrator wants me to write up a rough syllabus for the classes. Now,the classes are going to be 2 hours long each(yes,thats quite a bit of talking for some scratching dont you think?). Its gonna be over a 4 week period,1 class a week. Most likely not gona reach the max of 6 students but so far they have the min. amount of 3 so far. I have many ideas of how i could do this but im sure theres lots of things im probably gonna forget. so if you guys could,help me out with giving me as many ideas as possible to through into the classes.Dont think im relying on you guys for everything but i know everyone here could give me some support and help me out with this..ive never written a sllyabus before so this is super super new to me.

the syllabus goes:

DJ120 - Turntablism For Beginners

I-_________________________

II-_____________________

III-____________________

IV-_______________________

DJ220 - Turntablism For Intermediate

I-_______________

II-_______________

III-_________________

IV-_________________

if you guys can help a DV brotha out,id love you guys forever and send each and everyone of you roses of your choice personally with a card and chocolates.

Is it all elements of it? Mixing, scratching, juggling, drumming, scratch music etc.?

I guess for lesson one for the beginners you could tell them briefly about the history of the hip hop DJ and turntablism. Run through which gear to buy and which to avoid, setting it up, how the mixer and the faders work, marking records etc. Then I guess it's just going through the basic scratch and juggling techniques.

Can you post a bit more info on what exactly they are there to learn? Also post up the syllabus you had in mind.

heres the site....

www.spunacademy.com

the site is still being updated so disregaurd anything thats not working or is posted right i.e. the whole dj120 and 220.

pretty much there to learn everything from top to bottom in each subject.

as for my syllabus,pretty much did consist of what you just said...

I - Introduction to scratching

~How it all begun.

~The setup

*configuration

*settings

*style

*good/bad

~Getting started with scratching.

*babies

*cutting

*march/military

*drags

*transformers

*tears

*chrips

...one thing is...the administrator told me to keep it really simple and basic for the students and not go to fast,which is obvious but....can you really teach scratching for 2 hours...i cant really think of that much to say about scratchs...i can add a bunch of tips i guess and other various little things to know when scratching(even though thats another given)...can anyone think of a way to split shit up into 4-2hr classes? gonna be even more complicated once its the 220. this guy is really a fast pace guy,im sure he knows what hes doin,hes teaching the mixing class,but i dont know how much he can really tell about mixing,ill have to ask him and see his syllabus. im really just tryin to make a good impression and get this spot(which i most likely will haha) so i can get free shit hopefully because hes talking to Shure,Panisonic,Vestax,Rane etc. companys to sponsor his academy. and no im not in it for the money but because i want to see more dj come up in the area im in cause its really something that should be tapped into cause its a great hobby and alternitive to other th ings.

Add a 'remember-to-form-your-own-style' section. Not to sound like a dick, but I have a feeling you'll just be creating a bunch of FlipFlop clones. They come to you to 'learn how to scratch', and you're the teacher so what you're teaching must be true, because obviously you're 'qualified' to be there, you know. You gotta let them know that you're teaching them the framework... not necessarily how it's done.

I think it's hard to teach man. Assuming a large part of it is practical, how much are they really gonna learn in 2 hours? Looking at your class 1 schedule and taking into account the intro, setting up the gear etc. they would have maybe 10 minutes to be shown each scratch. Perhaps spread out those scratches over 2 lessons. Then use the other 2 lessons to explain beat juggling.

You could write out a sheet explaining how each of the basic scratches is performed. They could take that away with them and try and figure it out at home, then the following week you can see how they've progressed.

yea imma have to talk to the guy about teaching for 2 hours...i can only think of so much to show and not spoil them with intermediate 220 class shit or something...i dont know we;ll see. thanks for the input guys anymore would be helpful too!

Dude

The most important thing they're all going to need to do is practice.

I actually did a two hour lesson after scratching for a while, it was 101 and there wasn't a moment where nothing was happening. You'l be suprised how time flies.

Just give them time to practice and wonder around giving them tips...

There's a lot of depth in what you could teach, depending on how deep you want to go.

Teach them how to setup their gear correctly and why, such as dB system operating levels and gain stage theory, how to read gear specs such as S/N ratios and wow/flutter, the evolution and mechanical/electrical theory behind the crossfader, the fundamentals of effective EQ, how to avoid feedback/ground loops etc and how they happen.

Music theory, notation, concepts such as syncopation etc that are relevent to scratching, how to interact with other musicians musically

The evolution of scratching, not just in terms of different scratches being invented but also in terms of ways of thinking, for example the flare changed the way people thought because it came from such a different angle. Also how scratching influenced equipment and vice versa, eg how phono/line switches were used much more prior to faders having a tight cut and the introduction of the hamster switch. Also the evolution from scratch party trick to battling to actual musical use.

Definitely focus on application of technique, so they don't just know how to tear and flare and stab, but how to put them together into a cohesive flow.

Mind you thats probably a bit much for 4 2 hour lectures but at least they'll have a week inbetween each to practise. Maybe include a bit of theory and a few cuts for them to learn each week.

• 2 weeks later...