All this scratching is making me.....bored

Steve

what's so innovative about turntables though?

Have you seen the equipment that has come out this year?

Tell me thats not innovative. A turntable with a harddrive, a turntable that based on a 12 note pitch. Serato, FS2, etc... All things there were not fathomable 3 or so years ago.

Listen to BNN listen to C2C, and tell me who was doing it before them. Tell me anyone else thats doing it.

Prediction: Within the next 5 to 10 years, a top 20 pop hit will be composed by a live turntable band. It would be the essence of live music with the sounds of programmed hiphop.

i've seen most of the stuff.

turntable with a harddrive - still a turntable

serato, fs2, - still turntables

that's like saying guitars have advanced because of new fx pedals and amps.

i'm not saying it's not innovative, the technology involved is impressive, but the music actually being created is (from what i've heard) is utter shit...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the controller 1?  the rucker table?

that last post came out wrong.  i've heard scratch music before, what people have posted on forums and stuff, a few rucker files and a gunkhole video, but i've never properly sat down to listen to it, or bought it.  and i'm not ever going to unless it improves drastically.

people haven't changed much using the guitar in the last 20 years? i bet deeswift could name you a few thngs that have.  sure turntablism has become more focused on being 'musical' (ised loosely), but does that necessarily mean that it is better than other instruments (again used loosely, the turntable isn't an instrument)?

yea it's the ruck table

but yea, i agree, i don't sit down and listen and love a lot of turntable music (some i do tho, I really do like some scetchbook/phataz songs, and razorblade alcohol slide), but like, it probably sounds better than pure guitar, pure drum, pure clarinet music, haha, not many instruments can make good music all by themselves, i personally think it should start being incoorporated more into bands with other instruments...

I bet deeswift could name a few things, but I bet he could name a lot more with the turntable, as could any of us, because it's so new, and yea, it doesn't mean that it's better than other instruments at all, it's not, it's the exact same level as any other instrument, that's what i'm trying to say, like we should stop treating it like it's any worse, and any more boring, and any less innovative, because it's not, it's the exact same as other instrument, the only thing that separates it at this time is that it's so new, we haven't got a formula for using it yet, like other instruments, it's so open at the moment... I just think topics like this are due to not realizing that other instruments have equivalents to things in scratching like scratch soloing and guitar soloing, i bet if you were a guitarist you'd find guitar solo's boring even they were in the context of a song... nah mean?

pz!

this is still going? hahahaha

my original point still stands.....

and for those of your who were confused as to my opinions on this (chile) ill break it down for ya:

it doesnt matter who thinks what, who does what, what style of cuttin is fashionable now, compositions, solos - whatever!

the people doing what they do will continue to do it regardless...

scratch wise....i primarily make (amongst other shit) wordplay tracks, considered 'played out' by the new skoolers....does that matter to me? no. does it fuck. ill keep doing them until I get bored of doing...or stop enjoying doing them....

some people will feel it....others wont - - whatever.

if people wanna see it as an instrument or not....great!

the point is...there is no point.

its like life...

enjoy it / dont enjoy it...make of it what you will.....if you are true to yourself and what you beleive, then there will always be others who will beleive in you too, regardless.

Tell me thats not innovative. A turntable with a harddrive, a turntable that based on a 12 note pitch. Serato, FS2, etc... All things there were not fathomable 3 or so years ago.

Listen to BNN listen to C2C, and tell me who was doing it before them. Tell me anyone else thats doing it.

Prediction: Within the next 5 to 10 years, a top 20 pop hit will be composed by a live turntable band. It would be the essence of live music with the sounds of programmed hiphop.

i'm not saying it's not innovative, the technology involved is impressive, but the music actually being created is (from what i've heard) is utter shit...

do they have all digital guitars with hard drives so you can emulate other guitar's sounds and stuff? no...

i'd say fx pedals do advance guitar music, they add a lot more to it, but we've barely explored effects with turntablism...

and you have to realize, music being created with the guitar as soon as it came out probably sucked just as much, probably even more because it's a lot easier to mess up melodies and make them sound bad than rhythm...

i think most instruments can sound extremely good on their own, live, which turntables, by and large, can't. acappela cuts are durge, drumming is ok if done properly but not for more than 10 minutes or so. maybe the ruck table will allow you to synthesize notes, but it still will not sund that good on its own, at least i doubt it will.

if i were a guitarist, i'd only find guitar solos boring if they were shit. like scratching, i find it boring because mostly, it's shit.

like i said power cuts are better to listen to imo...

do they have all digital guitars with hard drives so you can emulate other guitar's sounds and stuff? no...

i'd say fx pedals do advance guitar music, they add a lot more to it, but we've barely explored effects with turntablism...

and you have to realize, music being created with the guitar as soon as it came out probably sucked just as much, probably even more because it's a lot easier to mess up melodies and make them sound bad than rhythm...

guitars don't need to emulate other guitars sounds, if the player is good enough they can create those sounds or better ones! that's the failing of the turntable.

i think most instruments can sound extremely good on their own, live, which turntables, by and large, can't.  acappela cuts are durge, drumming is ok if done properly but not for more than 10 minutes or so.  maybe the ruck table will allow you to synthesize notes, but it still will not sund that good on its own, at least i doubt it will.

if i were a guitarist, i'd only find guitar solos boring if they were shit.  like scratching, i find it boring because mostly, it's shit.

have you heard many all electric guitar and all drum bands? i haven't...

and a lot guitar solos are shit mang, we just don't see it as much because we aren't exposed to it as much, that's what i'm trying to say... if we were exposed to any instrument as much as we are to scratching, we'd find the same things...

pz!

guitars don't need to emulate other guitars sounds, if the player is good enough they can create those sounds or better ones! that's the failing of the turntable.

uh, but lots of people get special strings/pickups/effects/etc, so they can emulate other guitars/guitarists sounds...

and last time I checked if someone's good enough at scratching they can also create the same sounds or better ones as other people... i don't see the failing?

i think most instruments can sound extremely good on their own, live, which turntables, by and large, can't.  acappela cuts are durge, drumming is ok if done properly but not for more than 10 minutes or so.  maybe the ruck table will allow you to synthesize notes, but it still will not sund that good on its own, at least i doubt it will.

if i were a guitarist, i'd only find guitar solos boring if they were shit.  like scratching, i find it boring because mostly, it's shit.

and a lot guitar solos are shit mang, we just don't see it as much because we aren't exposed to it as much, that's what i'm trying to say... if we were exposed to any instrument as much as we are to scratching, we'd find the same things...

pz!

where i used to go to school there were loads of single instrument bands. mnost of them were shithot too.

i know lots of guitar solos are shit, but that's not the point! the point is that everyone seems to act like turntable made music is so much better than 'normal' music, solely because it's made by turntables. it's stupi, pretentious and wont get anyone anywhere!

pz!

where i used to go to school there were loads of single instrument bands. mnost of them were shithot too.

i know lots of guitar solos are shit, but that's not the point! the point is that everyone seems to act like turntable made music is so much better than 'normal' music, solely because it's made by turntables. it's stupi, pretentious and wont get anyone anywhere!

i'd like to hear some of those bands tho, cuz personally i haven't heard much good music come from bands of only one instrument

but yea, a lot of people put method above music with scratching because we're scratch dj's, guitarists like music with good guitar in it, drummers like music with good drums in it... like not many people who aren't guitarists like steve vai i don't think... some do, I do, but not many, but I hear what you're saying, but I reckon every musician is like that to a degree with music made with the instrument they play

uh, but lots of people get special strings/pickups/effects/etc, so they can emulate other guitars/guitarists sounds...

and last time I checked if someone's good enough at scratching they can also create the same sounds or better ones as other people... i don't see the failing?

guitarists can recreate guitar music and better them no probs. turntables can, but only if they have records with appropriate sounds on. no matter how skilled a turntablist, he can't make a bassoon note sound like a hi hat.

anyways i'm off to the pub, all this debating is making me thirsty.

guitarists can recreate guitar music and better them no probs. turntables can, but only if they have records with appropriate sounds on. no matter how skilled a turntablist, he can't make a bassoon note sound like a hi hat.

i'm not so sure guitarists can recreate guitar music and better with no problems, and obviously we need to have the same records, because that's how the turntable works, we can use tons of sounds, but a bass guitarists can play the same melodies as a 12 string guitar, no matter how skilled the bassist, but i don't think that really matters, does it? lol, and a guitarist can't make a bassoon note sound like a hi hat either last time i checked...

but yea, i'd be off to the pub too, but i'm too young... :( lol

pz!

Can a guitar make a basson sound like a hihat?

Nope.

What is a guitar without strings?

Its the same thing as a turntable without records.

I dont say one is better or worse. I just say the art of turntablism is younger and going through more growth and changes at this point and time.

Both take talent and effort to create good music with.

It's not the same thing really. You can only have guitar samples if a guitarist plays them in the first place so really you rely on him. He doesn't rely on anyone. If a guitarist wants a particular melody he just plays it. If you want a particular guitar melody then you are limited to whatever records (or other samples) you may have. Making music with a turntable is like an extension of sampling and in some cases it's only sampling.

It's not the same thing really. You can only have guitar samples if a guitarist plays them in the first place so really you rely on him. He doesn't rely on anyone. If a guitarist wants a particular melody he just plays it. If you want a particular guitar melody then you are limited to whatever records (or other samples) you may have. Making music with a turntable is like an extension of sampling and in some cases it's only sampling.

exactly. that is the turntables weakness. without those records, they are nothing. you said try playing a hi hat hit with a bassoon note on a guitar, but that's silly. guitars only play guitar music, ulike the turntable which produces whatever is on the record playng.

all instruments have their limitations.. so what? i dont think because i scratch im better then any other guitarist or piano player etc.. every instrument has its charm and difficulty.

i'm not saying instruments are limitless, but everyone seems to make out that the turntale is some sort of 'super-instrument' and that scratch music is therefore better than any other music. when it isn't...

Making music with a turntable is like an extension of sampling and in some cases it's only sampling.

I think this is spot on, it seems some people have a hard time grasping this. The turntable is a live sampler in my eyes, with the major difference to a normal sampler being you can manipulate it hands on in ways a normal sampler cant do. It's NOT the future of music or whatever, how can u say other instruments are played out when you need those other instruments there on record to scratch in the first place? Even with the controller one coming out isnt really adding alot new, you could have a sample and play it chromatically on a midi keyboard, or an analogue synth. Adding chromatic functions to a turntable is interesting and a nice concept, but it isnt the future of music either.

Piano players and guitar players have a far greater mastery of their instruments than people who make music with the turntable. Both of those instruments are far more expressive than the turntable aswell.

I think the turntable has its place in sampling, but it would definatly be alongside other instruments or different types of sampling instruments, all scratch stuff is basically a gimmick so people will say "whoa, you did that with scratching?" put it alongside another piece of music and it doesnt really hold water IMO. Sloppy doesn't = 'soulfull' either.

this is why i tend not to post up scratch practice files,

not that i think i dont sound good enough just scratching

i jus prefer to post original tracks, or mixes

tho saying that i do love hearing other peoples practice files

iv heard some brilliant scratching from people on forums, and some awsome tracks

but i agree with wat people are saying that some dj's are sounding the same - jus scratching ahhh

and above comment "scratching is live sampling"

definatly. thats why i love it. taking any sound and making ur own melody out of it.

im not guna carry on cuz i'll jus end up repeating wat everyone else has already sed

a keyboard can't play sounds that aren't recorded on it either... like chile said, every instrument has it's limitations, sure you can't make melodies that aren't on record, but the thing is you're controlling the rhythm more so than the melody, you can make infinite rhythms that aren't on the record... how can you say things like 'without records turntables are nothing'? like is there ever not going to be records? do you guys ever use it without records? no, i think it's spot on to say without strings guitars are nothing, that's what it creating the sound, without the recordings of each note on each key, keyboards are nothing...

sure there are limits to the turntable in that we are limited to what's on record, but we are so much more free than other instruments in that we can't even begin to imagine the possible sounds we can create with the turntable with those records, but with piano and guitar, a lot of people can argue that every melody has already been played, nothing's new anymore, you can't say that every rhythm has already been made with the turntable...

you have to judge the turntable as it is, rather than comparing irrelevant issues to it, such as it relies on records/it doesn't have melody, do those really matter? is that what the instrument's about? no, but you can make pretty much any sound you want with the turntable, but you can only make guitar sounds with a guitar, and piano with a piano, but with each of the instruments by themselves you can make those sounds a lot better (obviously), the turntable is no less of an instrument than they are, and no more of one

i don't think it's the future OF music, but I think it definately has a future IN music, I think a lot of people are taking when gabe said 'a lot of instruments are played out' the wrong way, i could be wrong, but i don't think he meant that they're boring and will never do anything new, rather that the turntable is so new and has so many possibilities... like it's more so the fact that it's NEW and the rate that it's changing is so much faster than other instruments RIGHT NOW, obviously when guitars and pianos were only 20-30 years old, tons of new stuff was being done with them, but can you name anything REALLY new being done on the piano anymore? probably not...

"Piano players and guitar players have a far greater mastery of their instruments than people who make music with the turntable. Both of those instruments are far more expressive than the turntable aswell."

I think that's expected of instruments that are hundreds of years older... People don't even understand the potential of the turntable yet... Expressive is fairly subjective and relative also, you can't say one instrument is more expressive that another really... because then you're saying some are superior... drums and percussion can be very expressive, but it seems everyone's hung up on melody being the only way to express yourself in music...

last thing here...

who's saying that turntable music is better than any other music? and the turntable is better than other instruments? that keeps being brought up... but I keep not seeing who is saying this stuff here... :s

I'm just trying to say that it's EQUAL to any other instrument, but it seems like a lot of you are saying it's LESS of an instrument, by listing all of it's 'weaknesses' and such, well you can list a lot of 'weaknesses' with other instruments as well, when really, no instruments have 'weaknesses'... they have limitations, and all instruments have limitations obviously, but limitations aren't really weaknesses, they're strengths in most cases, because limitations force people to refine a certain sound, and they give you a guideline to go by, if you had an instrument with no limitations, you probably wouldn't make good music with it because you wouldn't know where to start...

pz!

and what's the solution do you guys reckon to sounding the same and the turntable's limitations? I really don't see what you're wanting, or how you think it would improve, boycott the turntable? make no more turntable music? don't solo or freestyle anymore?

Making music with a turntable is like an extension of sampling and in some cases it's only sampling.

I think this is spot on, it seems some people have a hard time grasping this. The turntable is a live sampler in my eyes, with the major difference to a normal sampler being you can manipulate it hands on in ways a normal sampler cant do. It's NOT the future of music or whatever, how can u say other instruments are played out when you need those other instruments there on record to scratch in the first place? Even with the controller one coming out isnt really adding alot new, you could have a sample and play it chromatically on a midi keyboard, or an analogue synth. Adding chromatic functions to a turntable is interesting and a nice concept, but it isnt the future of music either.

Piano players and guitar players have a far greater mastery of their instruments than people who make music with the turntable. Both of those instruments are far more expressive than the turntable aswell.

I think the turntable has its place in sampling, but it would definatly be alongside other instruments or different types of sampling instruments, all scratch stuff is basically a gimmick so people will say "whoa, you did that with scratching?" put it alongside another piece of music and it doesnt really hold water IMO. Sloppy doesn't = 'soulfull' either.

isnt it the musicians who are the future of music.. the instruments are just a medium used to catch a certain sound.. there is no musical expression in an instrument until someone plays the damn thing, so why all this talk about "my musical instruments better then yours... my musical instrument is more expressive then yours"