the uk version with firmware 1.52

isnt hacked yet & inserting the demo

disc that comes with it upgrades you

to v2.00 which gives you the web browser

a firmware downgrader is in production

but not finished yet

http://pspupdates.com/ has the news

p.s did i say i love my psp....

I've got one, imported from the land of the rising sun.

Version 1.50 fw, so is hackable to bits. Except the only 'hacking' I do is booting unsigned code - running emulators, isos, that sort of lame shit. It's a nice piece of kit, and is only going to get better once they release more quality software. I'll admit it, most of the titles out now are pretty lacklustre, which is why the Nintendo DS fanboys are claiming victory in the handheld wars. The european launch helped tremendously though - Virtua Tennis, anyone?

Emulators wise - the lesser 8 bit systems all run pretty much at full speed. 16 bit emu is still a bit patchy, but so far there's good emus out for NeoGeo CD, Megadrive / Genesis and SNES. I'm waiting for a GBA emu, and there's talk that a PSOne emu is very doable.

Iso wise, most isos work with the various iso loaders out there (with Fastloader being the best, IMO) The biggest problem most people have is trying to fit multiple isos on a memory stick. Not everyone has a 2GB stick, I've only got a 1GB. Rips and ripkits are available, but I hate the thought of playing a rip.

Video encoding is still a bit dodgy. MPEG4 encoding, while piss easy, isn't able to unlock the full resolution of the PSP screen. The only format to do so (aside from the UMD movie discs) is the .pmf format. There's a few short pmf movies out there, and someone has released the LOTR movies in pmf format. But the big mystery is how he encoded the movie. The only encoder exists as a Sony SDK, which hasn't been leaked yet. The quality is amazing though, so I can't wait when it gets released. MPEG4 quality is definitely watchable though.