Turntable design

Do you think that manufacturers should take into account that a lot of people set their turntables up "battle style"? Do you reckon more people who buy decks set them up regular? Which way do you set yours up?

I like the design on some Numark decks where you have a start/stop on both sides so if you set them up sideways, there's a button nearest to the mixer on both sides. It would be nice if manufacturers moved the pitch control though cos it's in totally the wrong place for DJs that don't use their decks regular. It would be better at the side and even better if you could take it out and swap sides. If the 33/45 button was near to the pitch too it would make it easier to do certain things. Do you think if they did things like this it would be good, or would it fuck things up if there were too many designs that were non-standard?

vestax bought out a1 turntables which were in battle mode with the lcd pitch screen facing you in battle mode, i regularly see them going on ebay as 'rare vestaxes !' for up to £800-£1000 for the pair of them.

i personalled like the standard layout of my 1210's in battle mode at 90degrees, the only mod i'd like on my equip would be that the distance between the crossfader and the bottom of the mixer was a bit larger incase im feelin abit slack and kinda resting my hand of the lower faceplate wen im scratching cus atm the side of my hand rubs against the end = not noice.

Yeah I remember those. Have you seen these before?

http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/show/plasa2001/vestax-pvte2.jpg

It shows you manufacturers ain't afraid of trying something new, but what the fuck is the point of these?

I think that the manufacturers should take into effect that alot of ppl do set there turntables up battle style. I don't know 1 DJ that sets there tables up the regular way.

I think it was a really sweet idea that Numark made the stop start on both sides of the turntable. Of course this is very useful if u cut with your left hand like myself. I also think it would be cool if they moved the pitch closer also.... BTW i used the Numark TTX-1 yesterday & it's a sick turntable!! If your thinking about getting 1 it's definetly worth the money. I just might have to purchase 1 of these. ;)

Is this the deck you were talking about Mowgli?

http://www.thumpsound.net/Vestax.jpg

PDX-A2. I was gonna buy a set of those at one point. They could move the pitch control further down though, nearer to the other controls.

PDX-A2. I was gonna buy a set of those at one point. They could move the pitch control further down though, nearer to the other controls.

yeahhh thats the one, the a1's were standardly red i think, they must be the upgrade, though i cant see much difference, they both look quite durty.

whereas for those vertical affair turningtables, well they're complete balls...what serious advantage do they offer besides looking a bit stylee and extrovert...theyre for the rich bitch boarding school fckers who're looking for a 'groovy' hobby with 4 and a half grand in their back pocket.

nooooo,

we've had a threas dicussing those pdx8000's on many occasions havent we, and also numerous ones on asis by michael reezy himself.

im chattin about a1's,...think about it, if there's an a2 model, it is extremely likely that there is an a1 too.

don't make me google it fo you ass :p hehe

i dont understand why anyone would trade in their techs for those old ass vestax decks. look at the bottom, doesnt it look like it'd wobble like a bitch? and the tonearm looks like it was made out of empty coca cola cans...

Guest Deeswift
Do you think that manufacturers should take into account that a lot of people set their turntables up "battle style"? Do you reckon more people who buy decks set them up regular? Which way do you set yours up?

"Battle style" totally makes sense whether you're a scratch DJ or not, for the fact that it decreases the distance between turntables. Manufacturers should definately bear this in mind.

Guest Deeswift

I used to have one of those. It was a good deck apart from the insane platter wobble, or see-saw effect, as I used to call it. The platter was screwed within 1 week, and I'm talking about 0.5" of movement. I sent it back and bought a 1200 LTD instead, just to treat myself for going through such hassle with the Vestax deck. I have never seen platter wobble like it since, and it pretty much put me off buying Vestax decks for life.

About the construction of Vestax decks, it's not wood, it's some kind of composite material or something. That's straight from Alex Hazard, a guy I used to talk to from Vestax Europe. It's sawdust and glue, probably! The bottom of those decks are designed to have a lower centre of gravity, btw.

I think vestax came a long way in devloping a good turntable.

Some of the old ones had good features and I notice they did not try to put someof the features of the old into the new but hey I not a designer for vestax but I like to have my inputs and many other heads would like there inputs in what they make for the simple fact that the turntablist are the majority of there (the manufactors) market.So we should have more say but hey I could be wrong.

I would be happy if they would switch the damn grounds and RCAs to the back battle style. the right vestax dont fit flush against a mixer. Thats balls!

Guest Mike Reezy

Dont buy a TT500, now I have to resort to vestax....

Why doesnt Technics make a high torque table with straight arm and +-50 pitch?

Wouldnt it be profitable for them?

Where is Focus's +-30 pitch mod @?

Im angry that these newer tables dontl ast forever (like 12's do) and they are not easily repaired (like 12's are)

damnit!

my only issue with having decks setup differently from the norm is that it makes people too picky. call me old fashioned but i see kids making a stink about how they don't want to use this because they own that and all this other shit. yes, i enjoy progression like fader curve and torque and pitch adjustment but I also think there is a point where it goes too far. having extra start stops and 33/45s isnt a big deal but i just think i dunno forget it. let me just say vestax samurai and be over it. maybe vestax will make a turntable that has a motor that can move on its own and sinc with a samurai and you can just drink beer and talk to girls in the booth all night.

I dunno man, I'm talking more about ergonomics. The basic design of most tables hasn't changed from the first Technics and a lot of us use turntables differently now. Even having to turn them sideways shows the design could be better, the same as having to mod faders, except the people making faders are finally noticing and doing something about it (not Sumarai faders!).

Look at the pitch control on a QFO. It runs round the edge of the platter I think. If you had one either side for left or right handers on a regular turntable, or you could swap which side it was on, that would be great. You could move it with your thumb while you're scratching - great for varying pitch on stabs and stuff. It's also really near to your fader hand if you wanted to reach across that way. As it stands now, the pitch couldn't be in a more awkward place. You have to reach over the tonearm and it's as far away from the other controls as you can get.