mp3 cataloging

la ressistance

Guest Deeswift

WMP has an options menu where you can configure it to handle all your audio files. Also, to open Y file with X program, right-click the file and select "Open with...". Make sure the little box is checked for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

As for catalogging mp3's, I don't use mp3 tags at all, so I'm not the best person to answer this. I remove the tags and just make sure the files are well titled. The player then just displays the file name. I use foobar2000 0.83 Special as my main player, btw, which can do pretty much everything I can imagine, including remove tags.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Guest Deeswift

OK. A couple of things: foobar2000 can be a little confusing at first, but stick with it. You can use it easily enough "out of the box" but if you wanted to get into the nitty gritty, there's definately a kind of learning curve.

Also, there's no flashy skins or anything on the default player, it looks as plain as a Windows window. Apparently, this is to avoid excess resources usage, which a graphically heavy skins may contribute towards. Skins can be used though. A google search would bring the info you need. Me, I just use the player as it comes, no BS.

Foobar2000 is a very flexable player, but the "Special" versions can also burn discs. I use foobar2000 to burn all my audio discs. It's also the only burner I'm aware of that can burn fully gapless mp3 discs by reading LAME tags. Of course, the mp3 has to be encoded with LAME encoder in the first place.

EDIT: BTW, to remove tags from files, right-click them when they're in the playlist window and select "Database" > "Remove tags from files".

Yeah Foobar rocks. The only reason I have tagged my files is because my Rio Karma doesn't do anything useful with the filenames by themselves.

If you want tagging software I always recommend Tag&Rename (though I know Dee doesn't love it as much as me!)

I prefer Winamp for just playing music. Even with a skin it uses about two thirds of the resources foobar2000 uses with no skin when playing an mp3. For organising mp3s, the media library in Winamp is also better than foobar's offering IMO.

**EDIT**

In fact, foobar uses around 4 times the resources of Winamp when just playing an mp3 and up to 11 times the CPU usage: -

Winamp: -

winamp.jpg

Foobar: -

foobar.jpg

Guest Deeswift

And that's why it's best not to use skins on FB2K! My foobar2000 is currently using 3,320 K out of 1 GB of RAM, and none of the CPU. That's not even noticable.

Guest Deeswift

But I'm not saying you did dude. :) Just saying if the resource usage bothers anyone, maybe don't use skins. The resource usage is very low, from my experience of using this player. As I said, when minimized, it's usually using 3,000 - 3,500 K and zero CPU usage. Many people seem to comment on how little resources it uses, I dunno why it's higher on your system.

does anyone know of a good,simple to use,free program for my mp3's? at the moment their all over the place.

windows explorer is the best place to start if you want to organise your music files.

a good logical file system will form a sound base.

I'd also recommend Tag & Rename for MP3 organisation, and Winamp for playing. If you want to be able to use a single program which you can easily rip, organise and play (almost all formats) check out mediamonkey as well.