MPO/PMPO/RMS - Speaker ratings?

Steve

The best speaker rating to look at is RMS - that's correct right? What's the point of the others? Is it just a con to make speakers sound more powerful than they actually are? I've just been looking at some that say "160 watts PMPO, 1 watt per channel RMS" - fucking gay.

Guest Deeswift

It's a load of crap, probably meant to confuse people who don't know much about hifi. We need to look at the sensitivity (how easy the speakers are to drive) as well as the overall power handling capabilities. I see speakers advertised as "100 watts music power!". WTF is "music power"? Some kinda rating some asshole from Dixons made up?

Root Mean Squared is like an average power handling value, but it still can be heavily manipulated and hence misrepresented, so it's not gospel.

Peak Momentary Power is far worse, though. AFAIK there is no real standard for this measurement, hence the manufacturers can manipulate this value. How much they tinker with it is really a measure of how far they can get away with it.

I think it's very important to try to disregard the electrical specs, since two devices could potentially dissapate the same power, but the dynamics of the system can mean that they could produce entirely different levels of sound.

• 4 weeks later...

PMPO= Pure Marketing Propeganda Output. its meant to make a crap speaker look good - until you turn it up and smoke starts coming out of it.

just go on the physical size.

if the woofers are like bin lids, they gonna rock

Dunno about that, my mate replaced his 4x12" Trace Elliot bass cab with a single 10" with a very cleverly designed enclosure -I forget the brand, but it's something small and independant. Anyway, the single 10" rocks soooo much louder and cleaner, using the same 400W TE amp.