The last Splatoon player still standing after Nintendo's Wii U shutdown

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/splatoon/the-last-splatoon-player-still-standing-after-nintendos-wii-u-shutdown-is-now-trapped-in-map-purgatory-for-the-next-ten-years/

This is pretty fascinating. Dead servers and forever lost digital games/content fascinate me as a game collector. I was pretty unhappy when they announced the 3DS/WiiU shutdown. DL'd a bunch of 3DS games that will be more or less lost forever prior to Nintendo shutting down the store. Still had a little money in there that I couldn't spend. Wish they had dropped the prices to $1 or free. Also really wish they had worked out some way for players to continue online play via P2P or allowed hobbyists to step in to provide servers. One of the bigger regrets is that I didn't find the time to DL more of the shared Mario Maker levels. Got some but not nearly as many as I'd hoped for. Welp.... RIP StreetPass, eStore and Mii Plaza. 

The Xbox 360 marketplace shuts down on June 29th too.

You'll still be able to buy backwards compatible Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games via the regular MS Store, but you'll no longer be able to buy digital Xbox 360 games that are not backwards compatible. You will be able to re-download stuff you've already bought.

• Like 1

i did enjoy the splatoon matches on wiiU.  my kids have the newest splatoon on the switch.  I havent even played it yet.  but those online matches were great.  

• Like 1

Yeah i haven't played that one either. My older boy kinda aged out of Splatoon around when I got it but the younger is close to being able to... need to fire it up and see if he can do it. 

4 hours ago, Steve said:

The Xbox 360 marketplace shuts down on June 29th too.

You'll still be able to buy backwards compatible Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games via the regular MS Store, but you'll no longer be able to buy digital Xbox 360 games that are not backwards compatible. You will be able to re-download stuff you've already bought.

Oh wow I didn't even realize it was still live. The 360 was so damn good. Wish I hadn't sold mine. It was a launch day model tho and shocked it made it so far. Bailed and bought a Xbone.

360s are easy to get your hands on.  i got 2 of them.  i got one of the OG models with the clip on hard drive for the kids.  then later on i found a slim version with the wifi built in.  Got it at the goodwill.  under $100 and it came with red dead and halo reach. i dont play the xboxes that much.  but i dont play anything that much anymore.

• Like 1

back to splatoon.  one of the best things about doing matches on the wiiU is the squid mini game that you play on the hand held while waiting to set up a match.  i wish i got some matches in before they took the server down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBearOne8III said:

360s are easy to get your hands on.  i got 2 of them.  i got one of the OG models with the clip on hard drive for the kids.  then later on i found a slim version with the wifi built in.  Got it at the goodwill.  under $100 and it came with red dead and halo reach. i dont play the xboxes that much.  but i dont play anything that much anymore.

Yeah I got a couple sitting around too but wish I had my peripherals. I had the Bose Xbox branded surround sound and flight simulator rig. Do you know if you log in with an xbox does it DL all your game old saves? I transferred everything to Xbone before selling but IDK if it's gonna be a pain to restore. Just rambling here but wonder if they ever made a portable screen for the 360.

i believe, as long as you were logged in on the old 360 then your saves and progress should transfer over.  its been a while since i had to do that.  im sure its a quick google search.