I bought a handheld for retro games

Steve

An Anbernic RG35XX Plus: -

2uYAalW.jpeg

It's styled like a Gameboy. It has a 3.5" IPS screen, 2 microSD card slots, 4 rear paddles, USB-C charging, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI out, vibration motors, and a 3,300 mAh battery that lasts around 8 hours. You can pick one up for around $65.

You can wirelessly stream games from PC to it, and if you have a friend who has one, you can pair them up wirelessly and play certain 2 player games.

It supports a ton of different systems up to and including PSP, such as NES, SNES, Megadrive/Genesis, GBA, MAME, PS1, PC Engine, and about 10 more. The version I bought comes with 5,000 games on a 64GB microSD card.

There are a couple of negatives to it. The microSD card(s) that come with it are supposedly awful quality and won't last long, so you'll need to purchase 1 or 2 better microSD cards for it. Also, the OS isn't the best, however, there are a couple of other operating systems you can install on it, including one called GarlicOS which seems highly rated, so I'll have a tinker around and install that at some point.

• Like 2

I've been playing around with this today. To play games I was initially just clicking on "ROMs", picking a system, then picking a game, but if you click on "RA Games", it launches RetroArch and you can pick from a whole bunch of other systems, including Dreamcast. Pretty cool.

Performance has been OK to excellent in the games I've tried. The Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi was probably the most demanding game I tried and it ran pretty well, but the framerate was not the best. It was certainly playable though.

The screen size is OK for a lot of games, but in some games it is hard to read text or see smaller objects. The original Game Boy only had a 2.6" screen, but obviously the games were designed specifically for it, while this runs games from systems designed to be hooked up to TVs.

I think the only thing that I don't like is the system software and how much of a pain it is to tinker around with custom operating systems. The custom OS I wanted to install does not work on my "Plus" model, only the standard one, but I found some other options. I messed around with one for an hour or so but I couldn't get it to work. It would just say "No ROMs found", even though they were all there in the correct folders. Also, using a custom OS, or upgrading the official one, typically requires you to download a HUGE image file, split into a bunch of smaller files, which you then have to unzip and flash to your microSD card. I ended up installing the latest version of the official OS and the download was just under 40GB, then you have to unzip that to an IMG file, then flash it, which all takes time. These retro handhelds that run emulators all seem to require some tinkering to get the best out of them, and the guides you can find online often seem aimed at people who have experience with them, rather than n00bs like me.

Thats awesome. I'd looked at those and Retroid Pocket 2+ and couple others. Didn't end up getting one but they seem pretty awesome. 

On 2/25/2024 at 2:55 AM, Steve said:

An Anbernic RG35XX Plus: -

2uYAalW.jpeg

It's styled like a Gameboy. It has a 3.5" IPS screen, 2 microSD card slots, 4 rear paddles, USB-C charging, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI out, vibration motors, and a 3,300 mAh battery that lasts around 8 hours. You can pick one up for around $65.

You can wirelessly stream games from PC to it, and if you have a friend who has one, you can pair them up wirelessly and play certain 2 player games.

It supports a ton of different systems up to and including PSP, such as NES, SNES, Megadrive/Genesis, GBA, MAME, PS1, PC Engine, and about 10 more. The version I bought comes with 5,000 games on a 64GB microSD card.

There are a couple of negatives to it. The microSD card(s) that come with it are supposedly awful quality and won't last long, so you'll need to purchase 1 or 2 better microSD cards for it. Also, the OS isn't the best, however, there are a couple of other operating systems you can install on it, including one called GarlicOS which seems highly rated, so I'll have a tinker around and install that at some point.

very nice!!!

i had one of the first portables like this - i think it was by "LDK" (the one i had wouldn't even run ps1 properly from memory, i ended up gifting it to my mate who left travelling)

the Anbernic handhelds def seem to be up there in terms of capabilities etc, theres new devices seemingly made every few months - its a difficult space to keep up with actually

I've been considering also getting a new one, there's so many options now and loads look really amazing....i was watching a youtube video on some of the forthcoming models just yesterday 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I saw there's one coming out that looks like the Micro. Pretty fresh. Wish I'd picked up a micro back in the day. Cult following have really driven the price up. I've been enjoying the Zelda version of the Game & Watch redux. Mario one is a snore fest tho.

• Like 1

Weird. Maybe it was an old story that popped up in my feed for some reason.