EFX Chain Question

I got a question about stacking vocal efx. I got three vocal efx units. They have a mix of inst/mic in and out. Is there a best practice for how to chain them? When I come mic in to the first unit should I try and keep all the following in/outs mic? Or mic in to the first then all the following inst in/out? Or does it matter? 

The units are Boss RC-505 which I would like last in the chain. Roland VC-3. And TC Helicon Synth. If I had to drop something it would be the TC. 

Not that I've ever used a guitar pedal or similar, but assuming they don't have pre-amps in them you should be able to chain them together. Would just go mic-mic-mic. There might be some logical order depending on the effect type I suppose.

• Like 1

These are very similar for vocal processing fx so maybe there's a bit of redundancy but in the end up to personal taste.

In your situation I will explore the rc505 fx to see if it has everything you need from the vT-3 (I don't know what is a VC3...) and if there isn't anything "killer function" from the second just don't put it in the chain (but it doesn't means sold it neither). 

About the Tc Helicon, it has some autotunning (VT3 also) and some synthetic effects/sounds that maybe worth putting it in the equation but maybe not enough. Again a taste matter...

You can plug everything (my advice will be VT3-TC-RC) and just try to avoid same fx on each one. Vocoders usually are placed before reverb/delay (that meansb these fx on the RC) but in music there are no true rules. Experiment to find your sound.

What kind of music/noise do you want to achieve?

I'll probably just try it different ways and see if it makes any difference. It seems weird that the VT-3 would only have mic in but then only line out. 

• Like 1