Public Enemy - Prophets Of Rage Documentary

JHouse

Just finished watching this, and let me tell you foo's, this ish is dope AF. Since 1989, PE has been one of my favorite groups and Chuck D one of my favorite rappers. This group is absolutely unparalleled on so many accounts, to this day. Really wish I would have seen them in their prime, circa late 80's and early 90's.

• Like 5

I'm also a huge P.E. fan. I liked their first album a lot, particularly the tracks "P.E. Number #1" and "You're Gonna Get Yours".

It was "Rebel Without A Pause" that changed the game for me as a fan though. I remember the first time I heard it. One of the 2 radio shows I used to listen to regularly back then was hosted by Mike Allen (RIP), which was a weekly 2 hour show called "National Fresh" that was straight up hip-hop from start to finish; the only solely hip-hop show I could pick up where I lived at that time. That particular night I was out playing football with friends and didn't notice the time, then I was like "shit, Mike's radio show has started!!!", and I got on my bike and rode home as fast as I could, turned on my shitty ass boombox, and literally a minute later, Mike played "Rebel Without A Pause" for the first time. I'd never heard anything like it! Shit was crazy!

• Like 4

Fear Of A Black Planet is the one for me..its also the album that made me want to ditch playing with bands for good and start working with samplers. 

Without trying to sound like an old miserable cunt Hip Hop now is mostly fucking garbage compared to what P.E. were doing both musically and culturally back then .

• Like 4

Yep, they're sooooo far ahead of everybody, both then and now. They epitomize Hip Hop on all levels.

I remember driving around town and bumping "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" on my entry level 8s (i.e. cheap speaker box). This is when I started getting into, and actually learning, how to skratch. As stated in other posts, I would practice cutting on my steering wheel, trying to mimic Terminator X, only to find out it was Jimmy Juice who was handling the studio cuts.

To this day, I still get goosebumps when I listen to their music. Chuck D raps with conviction, and their overall sound is fuckin' bonkers!!!

• Like 4

Johny Juice Rusado used to post on funkshitup and Asis...

PE to me was the blueprint for Hip-Hop. That's what I was fed and that's how I wan't my hip-hop to be. Knowledge wisdom and understanding and not hey look how I can afford champagne and a Gucci suit. A lot of my punk and heavy metal buddies from the village also were digging PE cause Hank Shocklee was using a lot of heavy metal samples (he used to work in a record shop who carried a lot of heavy metal) and not "just" funk and jazz.

• Like 2