New albums from older hip-hop artists that are actually good?

Steve

By that I mean people who have been out of the game for years, but then come back with new records.

Are there any good examples?

I made this thread cos I read that Stetsasonic are releasing a new LP this year and I can't help thinking that it will suck, even though I would love it if it didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

its the whole "being out of the game and then came back" part that makes it hard.  that new busta rhymes is good.  dosent quite fit the criteria though.  oddly enough, that new Arrested Development album is good.  the new public enemy is decent.  not great. but not bad either.  

• 4 weeks later...

The newish Busta is ok, but nothing great

The newest Nas is ok - pretty dire times when it's making people's top 5 lists/grammy noms though. It's basically his attempt IMO at a 4:44 (which I think is great)

Usually the best you can say from old rappers is "oh it's actually ok"

The new PE album is okay, although I'm not surprised 'cause I haven't really liked any of their stuff post Apocalypse '91. That being said, the track they did with ICE-T "Smash The Crowd" on their latest record is dope.

All albums from Run The Jewels (RTJ 1-4) are badass all the way through. While they may not seem like old school hip-hop heads, they've certainly been in the game for a long minute. I think they are one of the best things to happen to hip-hop in ages. Props to Lorde for bringing them on tour with her a few years back like Madonna did with the Beastie Boys in the 80's.

For me it's pretty much always the production that's disappointing. Like, if GZA released Liquid Swords 2 and the production was up to the standard of the first LP, even though it would sound like something released in the 90s, it would still be fucking dope to me, but I know if it does drop, it'll be the production that's most likely to disappoint me.

It's not even that I necessarily want more of the same though. It's just rare that you get the right combination of producer and MC, at least for my tastes.