Who is your favourite scratch DJ in 2020? If not your favourite, who would you say is the most technical?

Steve

I think IQ is still probably my favourite, but I'm also a big fan of Pan Jaras. As for technicality, I don't really keep up with the scene, so I couldn't say if there's more technical guys out there than that.

• Like 1

i gave up on technicality a long time ago. there are too many scratchers out there that are crazy technical but they got no soul. no funk. it all starts to sound like noise over a looper. Right now, Rob Swift is still my hero. The odd couple routines have been insane last year.

• Like 1

i gave up on technicality a long time ago. there are too many scratchers out there that are crazy technical but they got no soul. no funk. it all starts to sound like noise over a looper. Right now, Rob Swift is still my hero. The odd couple routines have been insane last year.

QFT. This post pretty much sums up why I don't watch many skratch videos any more. It's a never-ending jerkoff competition. D, on the other hand, has a perfect balance of funk and tech. Dude is a jazz musician no doubt.

• Like 2

Yeah, just straight technicality is really cool in some respects but at the end of the day its not enough to overcome the fact that we're dealing with music. It's hard to beat Dave Styles for me because he's so good at keeping things interesting but there are some other cats that are really good in this area too. Symatic is really good at the technical/musicality balance. Mr. Brown is dope in that respect. The Ruck is still more in the pocket than anybody. Eprom is insane. Dopez. IQ. There's a a whole slew of cats that are slept on. Connah Jay for example.

• Like 2

I definitely agree that all tech and no funk is a massive turn off. There's lots of scratchers where I can appreciate their skill, but what they're doing leaves me cold. Obviously, it's also true that a lack of tech skills means fewer ways to express funkiness.

I would love to hear more from Pan Jaras, cos all I can find from him are a few videos from battles he's entered, but he's very technical, incredibly sharp, but also funky IMO: -

• Like 5

R-ASH puts out pretty sick stuff on his IG these days and is very technical.

Yeah Pan Jaras is super sick! Very tough to pull off that rapid / technical style with out sacrifice to musicality or flow. Everything is just soo crisp and styled.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, just straight technicality is really cool in some respects but at the end of the day its not enough to overcome the fact that we're dealing with music. It's hard to beat Dave Styles for me because he's so good at keeping things interesting but there are some other cats that are really good in this area too. Symatic is really good at the technical/musicality balance. Mr. Brown is dope in that respect. The Ruck is still more in the pocket than anybody. Eprom is insane. Dopez. IQ. There's a a whole slew of cats that are slept on. Connah Jay for example.

omg ty !! I try man, lately Ive been on a rut where I feel like Ive plateaued with my flow. I find that taking a days break and then returning to the turntables and firing up a looper is when Im best :-) also respect to mentioning the homie Connor ! I was able to cut with him last year and dude has an amazing flow/crazy handstyle haha its an absolutely trip to witness
  • Like 4

omg ty !! I try man, lately Ive been on a rut where I feel like Ive plateaued with my flow. I find that taking a days break and then returning to the turntables and firing up a looper is when Im best :-) also respect to mentioning the homie Connor ! I was able to cut with him last year and dude has an amazing flow/crazy handstyle haha its an absolutely trip to witness

I cut with him and Celly when Connah was like 17-years-old or something. Celly was amazingly solid and has just gotten even better, and I remember Connah being crazy unique in some of the stuff he was doing even back then. You all seen this shit (it's old but crazy dope)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJBHWCHgEQ

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've had the opportunity to cut with Celly and Connah a lot over the last 10 ish years. I was totally dumbfounded that I did not know of them when I met them back then. (Since they're from Eugene originally and I'm from/in Portland.)

I've never really seen anyone do the 6 o clock stuff Conner does with his record control, it really is unique and Sick AF. Celly is also next level, Once the session runs a long time he will still come up with fresh ways to play with the samples while most of us had already used up most of our stuff and are just recycling or trying to break new ground.

• Like 1

I was thinking about making a new thread but figured I could ask in here.

What are some of your favorite scratchers specifically concerning vocal samples / multi syllable sentences / words, either in a battle or musical scenario?

Any DJ's that you think are especialy great at skratch drumming?

Djackulate. I'm biased of course, but his freestyle cuts are amazing, his drumming is brilliant, he has the drums and the vocal cuts, and now his routines/showcases are getting fucking seriously good.

i'm currently putting together a thread of his stuff here:

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=41826

it was a shame at the clash of the titans that he never got to battle IQ as IQ went out in the other semi final.

• Like 2