DJcity's Phase review

Steve

Really seemed like he was being honest about the review, if not raw at some points, but delivered it politely. Nevertheless, given what he's stated about the product, I'm going to hold off purchasing it for some time until it's more polished. I would only want to use it for gigs on janky stages, not so much bedroom DJn, so it really needs to be solid. It's understandable with new products though — there's always going to be issues early on that are usually only presented when being tested by the masses.

He definitely didn't try and sugar-coat the issues the product has, but parts of the video made me think "yeah I've heard that shit before", particularly when it comes to issues being fixed with future updates, or no version 2 of a product coming out before the issues with version 1 are fixed.

Something like this has to be rock solid before it's shipped when you're dealing with this particular market IMO. There will of course be certain issues that only appear when the product is shipped to the masses, but issues like sticker drift and the units freezing up and only being able to be reset by letting the battery drain overnight should never have made it into the end product.

At the end of the day, if you can't trust this product when playing in front of a paying audience, what use is it?

After a few months of use - Id say sticker drift to do juggling or any precise sticker repeated routines isnt tight enough yet for serious use. However, djing with it is great now and i love it for doing my live stuff with shield as it removes all the skipping / turntable issues and we dont do any sticker marker related stuff.

I think until they get official support from DVs companies the drift wont be solved

• Like 2

I think until they get official support from DVs companies the drift wont be solved

Do you think that's likely to happen?

BTW, what's so much better about this than, say, Serato in relative mode when it comes to minimising skipping?

for me, this is really game changing for club use because you get zero issues live with needles - no feedback/signal issues from bad tonearms, or gunk on needles from sweat/mositure/smoke machines etc or issues with vibrations from bass. I'd experience at least one of those at every show I play and this device bypasses it all.

• Like 2

Not much fun if you've been waiting ages and then it's a bit of a letdown. Hopefully they will have the resources and skills to make it a bit more robust. Be nice to see a bigger company take the tech on and deliver it to normal market standard.