What's your backup routine/setup

arkei

I once learned that a digital file is only an existing digital file if it's stored twice...

What's your backup routine/setup?

I got duplicate copies of all my harddrives and a copy in the cloud. So 1 duplicate of all the data is stored at home and the other in the Musicstudio in a Safe. Plus the cloud if ever both places burn down.

I actualise/update the content every 2-3 months

I have 2 drives in my PC: -

C - SSD - Windows and apps

D - HDD - Data

I use Macrium Reflect to image C to D, then I use Cobian Backup to mirror D to an external drive that's only connected when I run a backup.

I have some stuff I really don't want to lose backed up on OneDrive, but I don't have everything backed up to the cloud.

I am basically Steve in my approach, almost word for word! I have 1TB OneDrive storage through Office365 so quite a bit goes in the cloud.

For my wife and mum I just have their primary Windows documents / music / downloads etc. folders synced to OneDrive.

Funny you brought that up now :-)

I kind of stopped backing up things for few reasons.

Question to myself is, how long am i going to carry around all these files in an archive that will be for sure obsolete on one day.

It's more a philosophy. what happened has happened, what happens now... will happen tomorrow

I kind of compare it to playing the blues, learn the song, that makes you understand the stuff you are into and you can reproduce it any time, anywhere.

In reality it means you forget about certain stuff, techniques for scratching or stuff you produced but thats something i started to accept slowly, there is nothing more annoying to search multiple HD's without results so i stopped doing that :-)

I just can't get my head around it now for the visual things as photos and video's ))))

Yeah mine is such a shit show. I have numerous hard drives with non-uniform redundancy. At one point our work IT guy helped me setup a NAS but I managed to remotely format the HD losing everything so that was a real bust.

Currently I have a SSD drive from my old Mac that I need to turn into a backup drive. Just haven't yet.

PC - 1TB SSD (C:) 4TB HDD (D:). My desktop is mainly used for gaming/editing/music production. I should have a backup plan for this but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Now...I torrent like a mf, so my entire movie collection is stored on an 8TB drive for the main library, and a 4TB backup drive (need to expand this soon). I also have another drive that also served as a backup but I recently turned that one into a seperate library for TV shows.

I'd love to have cloud backup of EVERYTHING but not found a suitable solution yet.