Samsung announces the Galaxy Fold, a foldable smartphone

Steve

I dread to think how much this will cost.

According to the BBC news article I read a 4G version of the Galaxy Fold is set to go on sale on April 26 and will start at $1,980 (£1,515). A more expensive 5G edition was also promised.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47277324

That's not really what I imagined... I thought it would be like a flip phone similar to a Razor but with a smart phone screen. Not like a fucking folding tablet.

• Like 1

i dunno. i'm starting to think that im getting to old for these new phones. i have no use for a folding screen. and i'm definitely going to break that shit. by the time you put a otterbox or life proof case on it, the damn thing is going to be the size of a laptop. i might consider getting one if you can run traktor pro on it though.

@Dirk - That's the sort of thing I'd be interested in. When the phone folds out, it's the size of regular large smartphone that you could buy now, but you fold it up when putting it in your pocket, which also protects the screens.

I could see Nintendo making a cool handheld with this tech at some point.

@Dirk - That's the sort of thing I'd be interested in. When the phone folds out, it's the size of regular large smartphone that you could buy now, but you fold it up when putting it in your pocket, which also protects the screens.

I could see Nintendo making a cool handheld with this tech at some point.

Yeah good point--great potential for gaming. But I'd personally prefer a smaller version--one that folds up to about the size of a pager. Maybe with a back screen on it to check little notifications that come through.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

doh!!! i wonder how this is going to play out for Huawei and the rest of them. I always thought the fold was a bit rushed. I was also unaware at how long they have been developing this technology. but still, its a bad look for samsung in one way and a good look in another. I mean, the exploding galaxy notes really hurt them. at least they pulled the plug before the phones really got in the publics hands.

I hate Samsung. They are the worst and their products are such shit. Or at least the ones I've bought which are mostly TVs and Bluray players.