Tech Q: FX Send Mod for Rane 72?

Mike-L

Question for the Tech brains on here.

I'm really missing not having an FX send on my Rane 72 and find myself switching back to my 57 (Also, anytips on how to explain to a wife/significant other, buying a £1500 mixer when you still use the old one that you were going to sell?)

Given how much techno gubbins is inside that mixer, my question is whether this is an unrealistic or an overly risky venture - if done by someone who knew what they were doing? (i.e. not me)

I had a nice simple send/return added to my 07, but thats an obviously much more basic mixer. I wouldnt need the return as I would just the aux in, which would save space.

Any feedback appreciated. Cheers

i dont have any advice about the send FX. But I am married. The easiest thing to do is say the old 57 is broke or wont work with the new software. she's still gonna have a shit fit about the money but may be more forgiving if she knows that your precious is not working and need a new mixer badly....... well, maybe you shouldnt call your mixer precious. don't want her to think that you put your music above her. (even though you probably do, she just dosent need to know that ;)) plus if you actually do sell the 57, that may ease some of the stress from having just spent 1500.

now, speaking from experience. all of this will completely backfire if she is already constantly bitching at you about how you spend too much time on them turntables and not enough time getting things done around the house.

I hear you. That lack of effects loop took the 72 off my list of wants. It seems possible to add one. I imagine it's probably more of a question of where in the signal chain to tap into the signal and the internal effects probably complicate that. Are schematics available? There's also the issue of hacking up a brand new (and very expensive) mixer. Pretty gutsy.

You know, it's pretty sad how the quality of the Effects Loop has tanked on Rane mixers. The 56 was great. Effects were post-fader, individually assignable, used 1/4" jacks, even a had wet/dry! The only thing lacking was a gain adjustment! I have the 57mkii and it's weak compared to the 56: RCA jacks, no wet/dry (not to mention they got rid of the pan faders!) Pretty toyish. Then they put out the 72 and ditch the external effects all together.

If I had my way I'd have 2 or 3 independent but chainable effects loops on my mixer, each with 1/4" jacks, wet/dry, gain adjustments, pre-post fade selector, AND stereo to mono/mono to stereo circuitry like the SM82 so you can easily hook up mono effects like wah. That would be dope. And oh yeah, they could also put their shitty little internal or Serato effects in too as long as they didn't screw up the external effects loops.

I hear you. That lack of effects loop took the 72 off my list of wants. It seems possible to add one. I imagine it's probably more of a question of where in the signal chain to tap into the signal and the internal effects probably complicate that. Are schematics available? There's also the issue of hacking up a brand new (and very expensive) mixer. Pretty gutsy.

Yeah thats what i was thinking - its a job for someone with the tech chops & balls of steel