So after 18 months of trying I've finally broken my creative rut

Dan

So for about the last 12-18 months I’ve been in a creative rut, try as I might I just couldn’t get anything going, I finally found the problem but a bit of back story first:

I was a warehouse manager then got promoted to IT manager (don’t ask) that was a few years ago.

I came to the conclusion that because I was working at a PC all day being sat at one at night was the problem. So I went of a mission to have a little mouse/keyboard/screen interaction as possible without going fully hardware based.

I already had a Maschine MK1 and Push 2 so I set about only using them. Still nothing, not inspired to make anything. Then Maschine MK3 came out and that looked like you could really do everything without every looking at the monitor!

Made a few beats but wasn’t happy. I even started looking at going hardware based.

Fast forward to last week. I was rearranging things (for the 10th time) and for some reason opened Live while all the controllers were on the floor.

I made 4 beats. All this time I’d be obsessing over not using the PC but it turns out a really like using Live with the mouse and keyboard, it just seems so much faster than the Push.

So the Push is in a box, I’m not sure if I’ll ever sell it but for now it’s not for me. I still like Maschine for chopping samples so that’s back on the desk but I’ve got the demo or Serato Sample and it that’s good Machine might go as well.

I’ve got my Midi Fighter Twister which is great as mapping is so easy in Live and Korg MircoKey 49 and for the first time in a while I’m actually enjoying music again!

• Like 4

Glad to hear it Dan! I'm in a bit of one myself... know what you mean. When I get home I just want to veg out and play a videogame not sit back down at a computer.

Guest petesasqwax

That's insanely dope, man! I was showing Ric the 2 ways I use Live on Saturday and it occurred to me that, although I don't use any of the buit-in functions of Live (I load beats in Battery, use Kontakt for instrument banks and Reaktor for plugins) I absolutely couldn't operate without the controller mapping functions of Live.

I'm in a funny place right now as regards my setup as I'm getting frustrated about hemming myself into song structures that feel unnatural. I might try the #dawlessjams route using the PO33KO for drums and sequencing with the SQ-1 but it's unlikely to be the ultimate answer.

I just want to say that, on my screen, the title of this thread reads:

"So after 18 months of trying I've finally broken my c ..."

... let your brain fill in the rest ...

same on my screen. its the only reason i clicked on the link. thinking..... what could he possibly have done to break that.

• Like 1

go dan! point and click to victory!

Now I have an urge to play command and conquer

Glad to hear you've got your mojo back Dan!

Never underestimate the value of sticking to what works for you.

Indeed! i really wanted to to like the push but it's just not for me

Glad to hear it Dan! I'm in a bit of one myself... know what you mean. When I get home I just want to veg out and play a videogame not sit back down at a computer.

I try and keep off the home PC during the week now

That's insanely dope, man! I was showing Ric the 2 ways I use Live on Saturday and it occurred to me that, although I don't use any of the buit-in functions of Live (I load beats in Battery, use Kontakt for instrument banks and Reaktor for plugins) I absolutely couldn't operate without the controller mapping functions of Live.

I'm in a funny place right now as regards my setup as I'm getting frustrated about hemming myself into song structures that feel unnatural. I might try the #dawlessjams route using the PO33KO for drums and sequencing with the SQ-1 but it's unlikely to be the ultimate answer.

Yeah, the mapping system is really great. if they did a version of push with just the screen and encoders i'd buy that in a heartbeat!

His coccyx?

my clitoris