What is considered the 'first' battle record?

d00ban

Does anyone have this information?

I was having a little wonder and have no idea personally.

I'm guessing that maybe the first battle record wasn't even sold at all and was just pressed up for use by a DJ to compete in DMC? Or maybe not, I dunno?

• Like 1

I think the Bullet Proof Skratch Hamsters are credited with the first "battle" record:

https://www.discogs.com/Bullet-Proof-Scratch-Hamsters-Hamster-Breaks-Volume-1/master/351052

This was (as far as i know) the first record that had beats and skratch samples arranged in a functional way, with sentences of samples close together, at similar BPMs, and looped breakbeats laid out with juggling in mind.

The simon harris records are excellent libraries of sounds, but in practical use they are a bit of a pain compared to what we're used to these days, as the samples are spaced out with large portions of silence between the sounds.

BPSH had the forsight to group sounds together so you didnt have to spend time cuing in headphones, you could learn the record easier.

I don't know the answer for sure, but if I had to take an educated guess it would be this: -

https://www.discogs.com/Simon-Harris-Beats-Breaks-Scratches/release/102525

I was going to say that. Someone gave me all three of those and the scratch samples are spaced way too far apart to be useful. The beats on the other side are quite cool. Things like BDK - raw, etc.

Does the record produced by Blondies' Chris Stein for the Wild Style film count as the first record produced for DJs to cut up with?

I don't think so. DJs had been using customized acetates and test presses for a minute for shows and recordings (like when they wanted to cut up their names and stuff). Jayquan talks about stuff like this on his youtube channel, the Foundation. He cites an example or two in early hip hop but who knows how far back it went.

• Like 1

Yeah to be fair the simon harris stuff was almost certainly produced with dmc type performances in mind... so despite the functionality it probably remains the first. Unless theres some other undergrounder ones from that era???

Does the record produced by Blondies' Chris Stein for the Wild Style film count as the first record produced for DJs to cut up with?

I don't think so. DJs had been using customized acetates and test presses for a minute for shows and recordings (like when they wanted to cut up their names and stuff). Jayquan talks about stuff like this on his youtube channel, the Foundation. He cites an example or two in early hip hop but who knows how far back it went.

Cool. Good stuff, I will have to check his channel,sounds interesting.

I've always thought it was the first Simon Harris "Breaks, Beats and Scratches".

I got turntables at the start of '91 and - as far I know - the Simon Harris records were the only ones of their kind, until the first Dirtstyle came out in '92.