Anyone tried the COD beta?

Steve

As far as battle royale modes go, I think it's OK. Probably my favourite implementation of it so far.

Armour is OP for sure though. If you have armour and you encounter someone that doesn't have it, unless you have a severe case of potato aim you'll beat them every time. If you get level 3 armour and a trauma kit you can have 200 HP and a 60% reduction in incoming damage. Without those you have 150 HP and zero reduction in damage. A lot of it is luck-based.

I think they should maybe raise the TTK overall, but lower the benefits of armour.

Also, I wish these modes dropped you into the map with at least a shitty pistol, rather than nothing.

I was playing using a regular stereo headset via the Dolby Atmos app on Xbox One and I could hear footsteps from a looooong way away and the directional nature of the audio was spot on. I was playing with a friend who was using a cheap shitty headset and he couldn't hear half the shit I was hearing and calling out.

Overall it's better than I expected. It actually made me think about buying a COD game for the first time in about 10 years. :d

Yeah, it does have a mix of projectile and hit scan weapons. The gunplay all feels really good IMO.

There's vehicles too, so you have quad bikes, trucks and helicopters. One location on the map is a graveyard and if you go there, a bunch of zombies will run at you like in the game's zombie mode. When you shoot them they'll drop some decent pick-ups sometimes.

Didnt play the beta... seen a lot of streams... still hooked on pubg on xbox.... cant get over having to pay 60 USD for one game mode and then of course the season pass and micro transactions... ill stick with pubg for now til a major price drop.

• 4 weeks later...

Shit, add me man. I dont have PUBG but would get it if thats all you play. McBurnface is my handle.

Man, I just heard that COD BO4 doesnt have campaign! That annoys the shit outta me. Basically deads the game once its no longer played by the masses or the system is no longer current gen. I probably woulda bought it anyways but still a bummer. I wish games that dont have campaign would at least have mini challenges like how Time Splitters did. That would be tight.

There are operator challenges that you can play in single player, where you get a rating of 1-3 stars (so there's some replayability), although I've heard that they're not very good. I've not tried them yet.

I don't find the game to be particularly approachable as a COD n00b, or, at least, someone who hasn't played a COD game since World at War, which came out 10 years ago.

Hopping into the multiplayer, I felt like my gun was drastically underpowered compared to what some people have. For example, in one match I caught a guy camping and started shooting him from behind. Even though I shot first and was behind him, he was able to turn on me and down me in 2 or 3 bullets, while he was soaking up my bullets like I was firing a spud gun at him. I was clearly hitting him with every shot too, so it wasn't just me having a bad aim. I was only level 1 and there were people in my game that were level 28, so maybe they've unlocked better shit than me, but still - it didn't seem to be very balanced.

The zombie mode has a tutorial and it advises you to do it if you're a n00b or haven't played zombies in a while. I ran through the tutorial and it seemed basic enough, however, when I jumped into a real game, it was a lot more complicated than the tutorial implied and I felt a bit lost as to what was going on.

I'm not asking for the game to hold my hand constantly, but it really does seem to be made for the person who buys COD every year and plays the shit out of it, which I'm sure will be a large proportion of the player base, but for people jumping in for the first time or after a long break, it's tough going.

The game is also somewhat buggy, which is to be expected I suppose, given that it's only just launched. One thing that's annoying is that I purchased the deluxe edition that comes with one of those season passes that gives you extra content, some of which is already available, yet in-game it seems to think that I haven't paid for the pass and it just gives me an option to buy it. Lots of people are having this problem on Xbox - not sure about other platforms. It also doesn't look that great on the Xbox One X. There are some noticeable framerate dips on some of the maps in certain areas, despite the game not looking that amazing anyway.

I'm sure things will improve in terms of bugs/polish as they roll out patches, but right now I have a bit of buyer's remorse. Maybe I'll change my mind when I figure out what I'm doing. There have been several games that I've disliked at launch that I've gone on to love, including Overwatch, which turned into the game that I've spent the most time playing in the last year.

• Like 1

I buy the new COD game every year and play the shit out of it but have the same complaints. It seems like I've getting screwed on my gun power... doesn't make any sense. I'm getting the drop and the first few shots and still get killed. Maybe I should just play HC. Steve, the one before--the newest WW2 one--is pretty dang great. I also don't like how saturated the colors are in Treyarch games. Their games are really hectically paced too. I was hoping to have the wall running again so was disappointed there is powerslides but no wallrun. The training levels are horrible and confusing.

Hopping into the multiplayer, I felt like my gun was drastically underpowered compared to what some people have. For example, in one match I caught a guy camping and started shooting him from behind. Even though I shot first and was behind him, he was able to turn on me and down me in 2 or 3 bullets, while he was soaking up my bullets like I was firing a spud gun at him. I was clearly hitting him with every shot too, so it wasn't just me having a bad aim. I was only level 1 and there were people in my game that were level 28, so maybe they've unlocked better shit than me, but still - it didn't seem to be very balanced.

He might have had level 3 armour, where you only had level 1 armour or something of the sorts. I've heard level 3 armour in the game is a bit OP