Rating the first batch of solo Wu-Tang LPs

Steve

I could do the breakdown but I'm pretty sure it would be very close between Enter the Wu Tang and Liquid Swords. Enter the Wu probably takes the cake based on the lack of any weaker tracks but in some ways I think Liquid Swords is the better album. I actually can't even fathom how there would be room for disagreement on albums other than these two but I know a TON of people who would rate Raekwon or Ghost Face head and shoulders above the rest. Tical and Return to the 36 Chambers are dope too but don't seem to get the love. Lots of crazy ass filler on the ODB album.

@JB - Steve's talking about the solo LPs so Enter the 36 Chambers doesn't count.

It's almost a three-way tie, but if I had to choose:

1. Cuban Linx
2. Liquid Swords
3. Ironman

Every ODB solo album was terrible except for a few tracks here and there. The whole first side of the Return to the 36 Chambers 2LP is good but after that it's pretty awful.

Inspektah Deck's first LP was okay.

Method Man always has a couple of bangers but a lot of filler too, IMO.

1-Liquid Swords

2-Only Built For Cuban Linx

3-Supreme Clientele

I could never get into O.D.B's. stuff though ..I always imagined him stoned out of his brain,laying on the recording studio floor in a pool of pizza grease,coughing up chapati flour while rapping into the mic hahaha..

Enter the Wu wasn't a solo LP :p

Haha, I guess I missed that.

Liquid Swords for me then. Hands down. Not only for the GZA's intellectualism but the production is also head and shoulders above the others for me. I don't count BIBLE as being on that album by the way.

After that it gets really dicey for me. Maybe Tical or Ironman would be next. I want to like Cuban Lynx but it's never really done it for me. It's got the worst intro off all the classic Wu albums.

Here's my scores, ignoring skits/interludes and bonus tracks: -

Liquid Swords

Tracks rated 7 or above: 10

Average score: 7.6

Ironman

Tracks rated 7 or above: 12

Average score: 7.5

Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version

Tracks rated 7 or above: 7

Average score: 6.2

Tical

Tracks rated 7 or above: 9

Average score: 7.6

Cuban Linx....

Tracks rated 7 or above: 14

Average score: 8.3

I'll do the others in the next few days.

It's weird cos without going through each album and ranking each song I would never have put Tical as high as that and I'd have put ODB's first LP much lower. Obviously I've listened to each one of these albums a shit load of times over the years, so when I rated each song I just flicked through each album to give each song a score.

1-Liquid Swords

2-Only Built For Cuban Linx

3-Supreme Clientele

Supreme Clientele was technically in the second wave of Wu solo albums.

I was going to mention that but I've split hairs once already in this thread!

Seeing as I'm the only person who would rate anything on Return to the 36th a ten...

• Like 1

I gave Snakes and Brooklyn Zoo a 10.

Really? Brooklyn Zoo and Shimmy Shimmy Ya have a kind of nostalgic, drunken, singalong kind of vibe that would score them pretty highly, but for me there are no tens on that record (except maybe the artwork, which is one of the greatest of all time). 'Damage' is good, but you can tell GZA wrote the whole thing and they just got ODB to say some of the lines.

I'll totally admit that Shimmy Shimmy Ya is a bit of a novelty record and if it hasn't been already, Threestyle will one day ruin it for ever. But "I'm the one man army, Ason"? Come on, surely just for the mad energy it has at least. I always feel like that track's bursting at the seems with that raw energy you can't plan or often capture.

I'll totally admit that Shimmy Shimmy Ya is a bit of a novelty record and if it hasn't been already, Threestyle will one day ruin it for ever. But "I'm the one man army, Ason"? Come on, surely just for the mad energy it has at least. I always feel like that track's bursting at the seems with that raw energy you can't plan or often capture.

The intro/drop on Shimmy Shimmy is fucking amazing, that can't be denied.

Vocally it gradually fizzles out, and its been heard a million times too many.

Fizzles out?! That's an understatement, it barely a long chorus and repeated wholesale... but
I maintain that the entire history of all recorded hip hop is styronger with it's inclusion. Played out I can definitely agree with, but when judging the value of a piece of music, I try to overlook that - it just means your is too popular after all.

• Like 2

This is how I'm guessing it went down in the studio:

Record a chorus and a verse.

Dirty gets shitfaced and they realise they won't get any more material out of him that day.

Reverse the verse and then repeat the verse again.

Repeat chorus.

It's an anthem but I've heard it waaay too many times. It's almost as bad as Full Clip in that respect.

I don't think I'd give any of the solo Wu tracks a straight up 10/10.

Apart from these of course...

Yeah,yeah I know its from a bit later before anyone starts crying-but I misread the title of the thread when I put Supreme Clientele in my top 3... :d

Fizzles out?! That's an understatement, it barely a long chorus and repeated wholesale... but

I maintain that the entire history of all recorded hip hop is styronger with it's inclusion. Played out I can definitely agree with, but when judging the value of a piece of music, I try to overlook that - it just means your is too popular after all.

I'm a sucker for flavor so I rate ODB pretty high. It's not just what he says, its how he says it. He had that unique and raw style, plus, he did have some crazy lines. If a person isn't feeling his style/delivery though, there's not as much redeeming quality there.

His style also worked really well with the RZA's production. From what I've read ODB and GZA got special treatment on their albums. I think ODB did some co-producing on Return to the 36 as well.

• Like 1