Anyone ever used Wavemod/Landr or similar online mastering services?

djmikec

I know it cant replace a skilled engineer; but Im working on a project that will be a pure giveaway, so I cant justify putting too much $ into it. Does anyone have experience using these services? I also know that they dont do mixdowns; but I feel like I can hopefully do a decent job of that myself, and maybe just use them for mastering. Anyone have thoughts on these services?

Dunno... i haven't myself, but a friend tried Landr and to be fair it was probably better than he could've done himself. He was basically pretty pleased. On the flip side, I've heard others moaning heavily about them not being good enough - but usually the detractors are Pro sound engineers and their point is more that a professional album being sold for a decent price should not use an automated service and it'll never replicate a good engineer. Which I'm sure is true, but horses for courses.

I think Landr let you sign up and try a couple of tracks for free - just at MP3 quality maybe? - either way, perhaps give it a test and see what you think with your own ears? It might be right for what doing?

• Like 1

Just do hybrid mixing, mix while you compose, then for the final mix start off top down mixing and once you have your bus's sorted switch to bottom up mixing.

You will find that you barely even need much mastering then and will find the mastering yourself is much easier and results from Landr etc are better too.

Ignire any so called 'experts' who say not to top down mix, they will always have an ulterior motive "Oh my gawd, the pixie dust of audio engineering is being taken out of my wallet"