Numark PT01s - cartridge output too high for external preamp

Hi!

I've put an RCA output onto my pt01s so i can use an external phono preamp. unfortunately with the stock needle and cartridge, the output comes in too loud into my phono amp.

Is there an easy way to reduce cartridge output before the rca socket? like with resistors, for example ? And where inside the pt01s would someone connect the groundwire to then connect to the external preamps ground connector ? or am i better off with getting a different cartridge?

thx for helping a newbie!

edit: ok i figured out that it's a ceramic cartridge and they have much higher output than what you would feed into a phono preamp. What would be an easy cheat to lower the cartridge output. I found a variety of ideas, such as a parallel 1kOhm resistor across the cartridge poles to increase the impedance that the cartridge "sees". Or maybe 100pF capacitors in series. Somewhere else I found someone recommending attentuation with a voltage divider with a 24kOhm and a 47kOhm resistor.

I am unsure what to do here ?!

Edited by anzbert

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 10:04 AM, anzbert said:

edit: ok i figured out that it's a ceramic cartridge and they have much higher output than what you would feed into a phono preamp. What would be an easy cheat to lower the cartridge output. I found a variety of ideas, such as a parallel 1kOhm resistor across the cartridge poles to increase the impedance that the cartridge "sees". Or maybe 100pF capacitors in series. Somewhere else I found someone recommending attentuation with a voltage divider with a 24kOhm and a 47kOhm resistor.

I am unsure what to do here ?!

I don't know if you worked out the answer to this…

Edited by PortableModManiac