Behringer making a true analog 808ish Drum Machine

Haha, cocaine's a hell of a drug.

This was the first I've seen of a true analog 808 redo. I saw the Roland one but it looked kind of weak compared to a real 808. This looks better. I'll have to check into those others.

Kind of cool how they have a compressor built into this thing. Nobody ever tells you that when you get these old drum machines they'll redline like a mug but still fail to sound as "loud" as a record. I've been running my Oberheim kicks through a DBX 160X to get it evened out a little better. Not sure drum machines are ultimately worth the expense but they're fun and it would be cool to use real analog kicks for layering instead of sampled 808s.

Haha, cocaine's a hell of a drug.

This was the first I've seen of a true analog 808 redo. I saw the Roland one but it looked kind of weak compared to a real 808. This looks better. I'll have to check into those others.

Kind of cool how they have a compressor built into this thing. Nobody ever tells you that when you get these old drum machines they'll redline like a mug but still fail to sound as "loud" as a record. I've been running my Oberheim kicks through a DBX 160X to get it evened out a little better. Not sure drum machines are ultimately worth the expense but they're fun and it would be cool to use real analog kicks for layering instead of sampled 808s.

I wouldn't use a compressor on any og drum machine, even with a gun pointed at my head. Try using just a gate instead, if your signal lines are OK (cabling, soundcards etc) you shouldn't be needing anything else besides a gate.

Compressors are the plague of modern mixing engineering. They were supposed to be used for corrective mixing only, but they're everywhere and they take the soul and breath out of everything.

I would never run any sort of 808 kick through a compressor. I would run it through a gate and keep it contained. Compressing that wonderful buildup practically cancels the point of using an 808, you might as well use any digital sample instead of it.

From what I've read and heard in interviews, pretty much all hip hop mixing engineers in the 80's were using fairly aggressive compression on 808 kicks. Not using them to kill initial transients on the attack though, more to even out the sustain on the kicks so they will boom out more. Not like today's compression where people are just slamming everything indiscriminately.

Yeah, compression is a highly varied and potentially very useful tool. I'd agree that the current trend for 'over-compression at the hands of an idiot' is not appealing, but there are many different types of compressor and much of the outcome will be in the hands of the user - their talent or lack of.

When you look back over the entire history recorded music, pretty much every time you can clearly hear the drums in a track, compression is involved.

• Like 1

The TR-808 is massively overrated (with or without compression :-))

And yeah,while I'll happily admit that those machines sounded pretty damn cool on the early Rap records and the early Detroit and Chicago Acid Techno stuff but in a pretty relative short space of time that sound got so old and so predictable so very,very quickly.

What's the point of this Behringer knock off ?

It's a complete contradiction to the spirit of innovation in my opinion to be continuously imitating that ridiculously cliched sound as if it's still innovative or relevant 30 years later.It's just the same gimmicky drum sounds over and over with or without the filtering.

I defy anyone to consistently produce good music with an 808.

I do speak from experience here because I owned an 808 in the late 80's and after six months I was so bored with it that i couldn't wait to get rid of it to be perfectly honest.

For £350 you could pick up an OG SP-404 and just sample those type of sounds and still have enough dosh left to buy some beer and pizza...plus there's the added bonus of if and when you've become bored with the SP-404 you can then sell it on to me hahaha.

Not sure if i agree that it is dated, but i do agree that 99% of music that warrants an 808 will sound just as good if not better with a sampled 808, but it is nice to have the source to sample when you need it, in my case the 808 kick itself is used in a lot of my music because i make a lot of Drum n Bass, but yeah a good sampleset would do more people proud.

It may not be innovative, but it is going to sell like it comes with free tits.

• Like 1

Agree that 808s are overrated. Pretty much all drum machines become "one-trick ponies" unless you start thinking outside the box with them. That being said, they're useful when you want them and there are characteristics of the real drum machines that are usually lost by the people sampling them a providing digital recordings of them.

• Like 2

Pretty much all drum machines become "one-trick ponies" unless you start thinking outside the box with them.

It really depends how someone defines "overused". The 808 kick is really abused nowadays and someone can even call it "generic" and he'd be right about it.

But that doesn't mean that the 808, as a machine, is not remarkable to this day. Its low-end has so much body that it's practically infinite and can go as much as your sound system can handle. Not many machines can claim that.

It really depends how someone defines "overused". The 808 kick is really abused nowadays and someone can even call it "generic" and he'd be right about it.

But that doesn't mean that the 808, as a machine, is not remarkable to this day. Its low-end has so much body that it's practically infinite and can go as much as your sound system can handle. Not many machines can claim that.

Quite a lot of synthesisers can.